The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Will we achieve Cold Fusion?  (Read 4868 times)

Offline QuantumClue

• View Profile

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Will we achieve Cold Fusion?
« Reply #1 on: 21/01/2011 05:36:36 »
They'll try to skeptically verify it.  Cold fusion kind of imploded as a field because none of the results have been independently verifiable...

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21/01/2011 08:51:12 »
Thank God I studied a little Italian in college.   ;D

And they were speaking very very slowly in the film.  I've never heard Italians speak slowly   [xx(]

http://www.journal-of-nuclear-physics.com/?p=360

It isn't going to be "released" in the near future.  At some point in the film, they said
We are at the "Ford T"
We need to arrive at the "Formula 1".

One gets sceptical about a "Black Box" discovery.  And, apparently the patent office picked up on that and so far has not accepted the patent application.  Obviously there would be problems if someone, say patents something that they never actually created.  Then, if someone later actually found "cold fusion", then there would be a lot of hot water going around.

In the second film, one of the physicists complained that he had brought a counter that would not only measure the gamma counts, but actually measure the electron volt spectrum of the so called positron --> gamma emissions.  However, he was not allowed to measure the gamma emission spectra as it might have told some "secrets" of how the device works.  Does that smell like a rat?

In the third film, one of the questions was the actual copper/nickel isotope inputs/outputs, and the inventors couldn't specify those. 

Anyway...  if I was building such a device, I'd hunt down some "black-market" 68Ge/68Ga positron emitter, or something similar, and use proven technology to make a RTG Radioisotope thermoelectric generator.  A good removable lead shield should allow "hiding" it for a period of time.

One would have to just make sure nobody had the tools to pick up the scam (as they apparently prohibited spectrographic analytic tools next to the "RTG").
http://www.journal-of-nuclear-physics.com/?p=360

The reactors need to be refueled every 6 months, which the scientists say is done by their dealers.

There is an e-mail address at the bottom of the paper that brings one to this website:  http://leonardocorp1996.com/  which apparently produces vegetable oil generators.  It says nothing about nuclear devices.

There is a long 60 minutes show about Palladium/Deuterium "Cold Fusion". 

One of the problems with all these devices is that they are always "plugged in".
I'd expect to find a system that would generate its own electricity, and be able to sustain it.  If it requires H2 Gas, then do its own electrolysis. 

One should be able to turn it on.  Turn on a lightbulb, and come back in a week and watch it still chugging away.

Everything I see is either a "Black Box", or a few test tubes with very expensive electrodes hanging inside of them.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21/01/2011 18:12:56 »
"Thank God I studied a little Italian in college.  "
What was her name?
I think your comments sum up the observations nicely.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21/01/2011 18:39:40 »
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21/01/2011 18:51:51 »
Most European countries have very generous electricity buy-back schemes - and surely they could have it plugged at home in occasionally.  Perhaps they could start the process of convincing the outside world with the account from the italian energy company confirming that a little house in bolagna is being credited with multiple megawatt hours of electricity returned to the grid.   

Offline Lucky Luke

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05/06/2011 22:30:27 »
Dennis Bushnell, Chief Scientist at NASA, cites Low Energy Nuclear Reactions as the Number 1 alternative technology priority:

newbielink:http://scienceresearchprojects.com/2011/06/dennis-bushnell-chief-scientist-of-nasa-confirms-rossis-lenr-device-is-the-1-energy-development/ [nonactive]

He seems fairly authoritative, so perhaps there is something to this LENR idea. 

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06/06/2011 11:49:18 »
Hi Luke there is another slightly more recent thread here.

I think the general feeling is that he needs to put up or shut up.  And what he needs to put up are a working prototype, a detailed schematic and methodology, and an academic paper detailing idea.  This is all scheduled for October.

Offline range41

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08/06/2011 20:53:27 »
My understanding is that "cold" fusion (relatively speaking) is already a reality.  Muon catalyzed fusion is fairly common.  The more specific question is will there ever be cold fusion with a net energy gain?

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10/06/2011 14:02:14 »
Normally I would doubt any such exclamation but as two Swedish nuclear scientists of good renown then would be duped?

I will wait and see.
==

Although they both seem to wonder about the 'cold fusion part', as the impression I got from reading them in Swedish, they still seem to think that there is something to it, and that Rossi is telling it as he knows it.
==

As for giving away his schematics?
he want to make it into a business, and?

Well, if it's true, I can see why he act as he does.
« Last Edit: 10/06/2011 14:08:08 by yor_on »

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10/06/2011 14:54:33 »
Trouble is Yoron: is that the actions of an honest man desperate to protect his invention/discovery and the pretense of a scoundrel looking to dupe investors is very difficult to tell apart.    As Sagan said "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" - and as yet no evidence has been made public.  I await his publication and working prototype with hope - but with a fair dose of skepticism as well

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11/06/2011 05:46:59 »
We'll see soon enough, but I still think he's a Man of La Mancha Bologna.

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11/06/2011 14:02:34 »
It could also be a honest man presenting something he defines as 'cold fusion' but we, in time, will define as some other process. That will allow both the Swedish scientists and Rossi to be 'honest' in their evaluation. But we will see in time if it works or not, until then we can only guess.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11/06/2011 20:57:58 »
He could well be entirely honest. He probably really believes in it, or at least he did at one point.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #13 on: 11/06/2011 20:57:58 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length