The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What's the best way to protect your IP?  (Read 5733 times)

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
What's the best way to protect your IP?
« on: 22/01/2011 06:13:03 »
I've just invented the best thing since sliced bread. Yippee! Now what do I do? How can I protect my IP (intellectual property)?

Should I;

a) Try to patent my idea before I talk to anyone about it.
b) Keep the details a big secret and try to set up a company to make it.
c) Ignore the IP thing altogether and just try to make a go of it by any means possible.
d) Publish my findings and try to make money as a guest speaker.
e) Forget the whole idea. Inventors never make money from their inventions.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 22/01/2011 06:41:47 »

Don't forget...  Make a black box with lots of gauges & lights.
Have a press conference about your revolutionary invention.
Refuse to tell anybody how it actually works.
Solicit Investors.
Vanish.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22/01/2011 07:43:55 »
« Last Edit: 22/01/2011 07:56:46 by RD »

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23/01/2011 13:36:44 »
As I have said (ranted on) before, unfortunately the patent system has little to do with protecting the small, one man inventor and everything to do with protecting large corporations, despite its alleged reasons for its existence. However there are examples where it does work in this way - I reckon less than 0.1% of patents fall into this category though. I think you have to know how to work the system and it would also depend on the nature of the invention, the field of business, how easy it would be to understand and utilise and its likely overall value. a, b and c can all work but it wouldn't be an easy ride.

The conventional route would be 'a' but patent laws are not wholly international even if you shell out the small fortune needed to register your patent in every region you can think of that may have the ability to exploit it. You would have to be really sure it was watertight with no work-arounds and no damaging prior art that people could point to - it has to be completely original. You would also have to be sure that it could be used to make money. Having done all that, you could then either try to set up a company or, alternatively, pursuade an existing company to exploit the patent for a variety of potential personal rewards to be negotiated. It depends on how much hassle you want and how long you want to wait for a return. If you invent an anti gravity machine this may well be the best option - as long as the interests of the state (usually the military) don't prevent you from revealing it - I believe this is possible in the UK.

For most though patents are some variation of ideas that are not so revolutionary and most patents that are published can be challenged (certainly in electronics) and many claims proved invalid (it seems people register variations of the schmitt trigger every month). Even if the design is original you then have the choice of paying lawyers to defend it - and against a counter claim by (say) Motorola it would cost a lot, or selling the patent for much less than you may think it worth to a similar company. This is not easy without contacts and good negotiating skills.

Also patenting in one part of the world does not necessarily hold in other parts and some countries don't care anyway - international agreements or not.

Route 'c' is a good route if the market is likely to be short lived and not too expensive to set up a company to exploit the ideas involved. It may still need outside funding and manufacturing support though, so setting up from scratch is, for most people, not a viable option.

A bit depressing really. I suggest going for the anti-gravity device and let me know if you need a partner:-)

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #4 on: 24/01/2011 11:12:07 »
I suggest you PM me with full details and diagrams of your invention, then kindly await the arrival of my accomplice agent, who will ensure you are properly disposed of remunerated.

"Crusher, get yourself over to Geezer's gaff and pull his head off, but not before I give you the OK, I don't want a repeat of the last b***s-up. We could have been super rich now, turning lead into gold, if that bloke wasn't proping up the Thelwell Viaduct".

Offline TIMOTHY

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31/01/2011 07:04:37 »

Don't forget...  Make a black box with lots of gauges & lights.
Have a press conference about your revolutionary invention.
Refuse to tell anybody how it actually works.
Solicit Investors.
Vanish.

I totally agree with you Clifford...
Geezer, don't tell Any body complete detail of your Idea till you have no press conference and try to contact a registered company and find out the way to implement your Idea usefully...
Best of Luck...

Spammy Arizona RE link removed.

I thought earthtones were appropriate.

"It will happen, when you take action."
 ;D
[/center]
« Last Edit: 08/02/2011 07:20:32 by Geezer »

Offline libbypetter

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12/04/2011 18:18:06 »
It's nice. I think hiding your IP is one of the best way to protect your IP. by searching online, you can see many site which will provide you a list of anonymous proxies which will help you to protect on the internet.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12/04/2011 19:57:44 »
er, you seem to be a bit confused about the type of IP here. You wouldn't be thinking of spamming TNS?

Post by BioWizard click to view.

Offline BioWizard

• The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • ForumMagnum - All Things Rome
« Reply #8 on: 13/04/2011 03:36:55 »
Shrunk
It's nice. I think hiding your IP is one of the best way to protect your IP. by searching online, you can see many site which will provide you a list of anonymous proxies which will help you to protect on the internet.
Agree!

Offline NewYork

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18/04/2011 15:12:54 »
Yeah. As for me, the best way is to keep it a secret and create a company from it.

Offline NewYork

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18/04/2011 15:14:34 »

He is not talking about ip address but intellectual property. lol.
« Last Edit: 18/04/2011 15:19:19 by NewYork »

Offline saroy123

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13/09/2011 13:20:31 »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13/09/2011 13:58:33 »
... proxies which will help you

to spam forums ...

« Last Edit: 13/09/2011 14:05:02 by RD »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #12 on: 13/09/2011 13:58:33 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines