The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Suggestion for projects in Google Global Science Fair  (Read 3150 times)

Offline siochi

• View Profile
For those who don't know what the google global science fair is, read about it here http://www.google.com/events/sciencefair [nofollow]

I want to participate in the event, but I am not sure what scientific project should I make in order to enter the competition . Since it is a global competition, the level of competition is going to be high, and I have to come up with a really good project to sustain the hopes of winning it.

Projects can be anything-Original researches,invention,discovering,etc, but related to science.

Any suggestion about what I could make my project about?

Thanks
Chirag.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Suggestion for projects in Google Global Science Fair
« Reply #1 on: 22/01/2011 15:23:52 »
What are you interested in?
How old are you? 
Looking at your posts, I'm guessing at least High School.  Senior?

You seem to be interested in some psychology.  However, your "multi-consciousness" idea would need some kind of a testable hypothesis. 
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=36786
I posted some random thoughts with respect to your visualization topic.  But, the big thing is coming up with a testable hypothesis.

I suppose there are two types of science fair types of projects.
Psychology types of things would lend itself to "Poster Projects".  Not as flashy as volcanoes and etc for a science fair, but you can get some great papers and write ups.

Building something new and unique is everyone's dream.  But, perhaps difficult to do from scratch.

"Green is Big".
However, making biodiesel or something is a little passée. 
What is the limit for a HS student? 
You could run a Diesel riding lawnmower on Biodiesel or Vegetable Oil.

Oh, one thing that came up in another forum. 
Apparently E85 doesn't mix well with 2-cycle engine oil.
E10 or E20 may also have troubles with it 2-cycle oils.
Some people have used vegetable oil, or biodiesel as a lubricant substitute for 2 cycle engines.
I.E. Chainsaws, snowmobiles, boat engines, weedeaters, and some generators.  Even some cars like the Subaru 360 used a 2 cycle engine.
It is easy to test the mixing.
Take a glass jar.  Add fuel and oil.  Mix it up.  Set it on the counter, and see what happens.
Do you have access to any emissions testing equipment?  Maybe an auto-shop in the school?

There are other questions with E85, for example what really happens if you run E85 in a non E85 rated vehicle?  Emissions?  Lean Mixture?  Timing? Etc.  Can the O2 sensors in most "modern" cars cope with E85?

Google?
Have you seen the Google X-Prize Competition?
http://www.googlelunarxprize.org/
Perhaps that would bring up some ideas.

Offline siochi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22/01/2011 18:25:35 »
What are you interested in?
How old are you? 
Looking at your posts, I'm guessing at least High School.  Senior?

You seem to be interested in some psychology.  However, your "multi-consciousness" idea would need some kind of a testable hypothesis. 
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=36786
I posted some random thoughts with respect to your visualization topic.  But, the big thing is coming up with a testable hypothesis.

I suppose there are two types of science fair types of projects.
Psychology types of things would lend itself to "Poster Projects".  Not as flashy as volcanoes and etc for a science fair, but you can get some great papers and write ups.

Building something new and unique is everyone's dream.  But, perhaps difficult to do from scratch.

"Green is Big".
However, making biodiesel or something is a little passée. 
What is the limit for a HS student? 
You could run a Diesel riding lawnmower on Biodiesel or Vegetable Oil.

Oh, one thing that came up in another forum. 
Apparently E85 doesn't mix well with 2-cycle engine oil.
E10 or E20 may also have troubles with it 2-cycle oils.
Some people have used vegetable oil, or biodiesel as a lubricant substitute for 2 cycle engines.
I.E. Chainsaws, snowmobiles, boat engines, weedeaters, and some generators.  Even some cars like the Subaru 360 used a 2 cycle engine.
It is easy to test the mixing.
Take a glass jar.  Add fuel and oil.  Mix it up.  Set it on the counter, and see what happens.
Do you have access to any emissions testing equipment?  Maybe an auto-shop in the school?

There are other questions with E85, for example what really happens if you run E85 in a non E85 rated vehicle?  Emissions?  Lean Mixture?  Timing? Etc.  Can the O2 sensors in most "modern" cars cope with E85?

Google?
Have you seen the Google X-Prize Competition?
http://www.googlelunarxprize.org/ [nofollow]
Perhaps that would bring up some ideas.

Thanks a lot for your offer to help.

I am 15, currently a sophomore at school. I am interested in Physics, and astronomy, but since most of the projects in Physics and Space require high spending on instruments, I am not taking up any these projects.

I am looking for a really innovative project, a project which separates me from the other participants in the competition.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22/01/2011 19:36:55 »
Follow your dreams.

It may be difficult to come up with something that is totally unique.
But, perhaps you could come up with something that is unique for a 15 or 16 yr old.

And, if your idea is good enough, you might be able to convince someone to donate some supplies.

Maybe get help from the government?

There was a recent note on this site about mouse sterility in space.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=36480

The hypothesis was that it was a problem with Zero-G.
But... there was no discussion about artificial G, or cosmic rays.

What would it take to get a berth on the space shuttle (which doesn't exist any more   [:-'(])

Anyway, that experiment needs to be reconfigured with:
1 set of mice with artificial gravity.
1 set of mice (controls) with zero-G.
Would they let you send a third group up with shielding? Lead?  A lead box could come in handy on the international space station (and perhaps some of your experimental setup too).

NASA must have some guidelines on the resources they could award.  Space.  Does it have to be pressurized?  Power available?  Feeding?  Etc.

I suppose it would take more resources than most HS students have available.  However, a bio lab should have microscopes and etc to do the sperm counts.

You would have to essentially do a "dry run" on earth.  That would be enough for a write-up, and perhaps enough to progress to the "real-thing" in a year.

====================================

There are things you could build.
There are discussions on the internet on how to build a telescope from scratch.  As I understand it, some are of excellent quality. 

I can more or less understand the theory behind the basic "Wheel Grinder" for the parabolic Newtonian Mirror.  It would still be a great project, but probably push you into next year. 

My question is whether one could do an off-axis parabolic grind with a similar low-tech method without the warping, or other augmentation methods. 

Anyway, making a telescope would be a wonderful project that might not really cost that much, and you can get a "big" reflector.  You can download plans from the internet, so it isn't really anything new unless you came up with a novel design.  Once built, you could make your own observations, and take your own photos with it.

==================================

The Poor Man's IR Camera.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=31408

There could be some possibilities with that, both terrestrial, as well as space.

As far as the Google X-Prize.

There have been discussions about lunar landers...  the easiest part to make, I guess.  You would need to have some kind of control mechanism, and communications mechanism.  The Martian rovers are supposed to be semi-autonomous.  I.E.  Send them a set of instructions, and they'll carry them out, and await for the next set.

The balloon landing on Mars is cool.  I assume something similar could be done on the moon.

Do they allow teamwork?
Here is the space elevator contest.  I don't know if it is still ongoing.
http://www.spaceward.org/

You could look at solar, solar controllers, maximum power point tracker (or MPPT), inverter technology, etc.

It certainly would augment any space/satellite designs.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22/01/2011 22:03:10 »
You seem to be interested in some psychology ... idea would need some kind of a testable hypothesis.

Re-do the Forer demonstration with your classmates, (a low-cost experiment).

Have an adult authority-figure (e.g. teacher) be your "front man" : have them distribute and collect the bogus personality test questionnaire, (they shouldn't mention your name to the participants when conducting the test).

Allow a sufficient time period to pass between collecting the questionnaire and distributing the bogus assessment, e.g. next day / week. If you give out the assessment quicker than the questionnaire's could have been assessed it will give the game away. The assessments should have each participants name printed on, but otherwise be identical (verbatim copies).

Don't permit participants to compare the results of their personality assessment, (which are all the same), before they have graded the accuracy of the assessment. e.g. create an examination environment : no talking and no conferring.   
« Last Edit: 22/01/2011 23:23:00 by RD »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 22/01/2011 22:03:10 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length