The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can type I diabetics carb load?  (Read 1675 times)

Offline Bill.D.Katt.

• View Profile
Can type I diabetics carb load?
« on: 22/01/2011 18:54:07 »
I quite often go running with a friend of mine who is a type 1 diabetic. When I was on the track team we always had a large pasta dinner the night before competitions. Would this benefit him at all?

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 22/01/2011 19:56:36 »
Talk to him. 

The big thing about Type 1 Diabetes is managing the glucose levels.  Not too high, not too low.  And, since there is an absorption delay, one needs to predict what the glucose levels will be in the future.

Does he have an insulin pump?

Anything that would go outside of his routine would mean additional monitoring, but carbohydrates aren't bad.  They just need to be compensated for with insulin. 

In fact, the high protein diets that were recommended 30 years ago are no longer recommended. 

I assume your friend has some emergency glucose (or candy or soda) that is nearby all the time.

Offline Bill.D.Katt.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22/01/2011 22:24:42 »
He has insulin shots, but he doesn't take them while we are running. He has almost stopped using one type of insulin out of necessity, he just doesn't need it any more. This was actually a question he had as well. He monitors what he eats before running pretty well, and knows the grams of sugar to miles of running ratio.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 22/01/2011 22:24:42 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums