The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Proof for the absence of free will in humans  (Read 9983 times)

Offline siochi

• View Profile
Proof for the absence of free will in humans
« Reply #25 on: 03/02/2011 13:47:38 »
I don't think you are getting the point.

The human mind is the product of what its external surrounding are. And by external surrounding, I am referring to every thing starting from the biology of the brain, neurons, and neural connections to the body in which it is to the universe it lives in. The human mind is incapable of producing any free thought as all of its activities are just responses to the external stimulations.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 03/02/2011 19:19:31 »
You have yet to make a point.

You have an idea and it depends on this
"Firstly, I would like to state one of the essential laws of the universe- The law of Causality. According to the law of causality, every effect has a cause and every cause has an effect."
which isn't true.

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 16/02/2011 22:06:10 »
Probability seems true. Chaos theory tell us that although bifurcations (paths splitting) are impossible to backtrack, Feigenbaum's constant still will present us with a linear definition of them. If your idea was right those bifurcations lineage should be 'individually traceable' backwards, but they're not.

We do not live in a deterministic universe, although there are layers of determinism to it. It's weirder than you ever imagined this universe :)

Offline Martin Veltjen

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 13/03/2011 22:17:50 »
Siochi,

Your hypothesis is correct. But it is more philosophy. Schopenhauer figured it out a long time ago (but he didn't really understand it, in my opinion). The fact that you can not explain why an atom decays, doesn't mean that there is no cause. QM is just stuck on that point for the time being (they can't calculate the position and speed or something - personally I guess the problem comes down to the nature of 'time'.) Free will does not exist. A few years back there was an article in the NYT on the subject in which scientists had invented a way of trying to cope with this insight. God does not play dice with the universe.

Mod edit - for fairly obvious reasons, we would prefer it if you didn't promote other science forums, so I've removed the link - Ben.

You surely did not edit out of free will, ;-)
« Last Edit: 19/03/2011 07:01:55 by Martin Veltjen »

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 07/05/2011 05:26:06 »
Ah, but he did. He could have let it alone :)

And no, throwing in a famous name, and then stating that you found him inadequate, do not impress here.

Offline Expectant_Philosopher

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 10/05/2011 01:39:27 »
If we are without free will, are we trapped in a predetermined pattern of development, similar to the systems of the Rama ship, in "Rendevous with Rama".  Pre-scripted events we need to do before the next break through.  If we suppose in the universe there are civilizations in the stone age, then us, then civilizations whose science appears as magic for us, why can't we slip out of the science we are in to the science that could be?  Why does science have to be evolutionary?  Can we break the bonds of cause and affect, merely by imagining it to be so?  Remove the affective filters that tell us this is the way it is, that it is impossible by today's science.  Make the leap of faith, to a science that allows us to live forever, to explore the stars, to go from place to place without any space in between.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #30 on: 10/05/2011 01:39:27 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums