The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Super Nova  (Read 4939 times)

Offline tony6789

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Super Nova
« on: 02/03/2006 14:10:03 »
What is a super nova made of?

- Big T

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Re: Super Nova
« Reply #1 on: 02/03/2006 14:46:28 »
...well, a supernova is a rather large explosion comprised of the contents of a dieing star http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/supernova

What freaks me out is that for a miniscule time the energy output of a supernova is more than all the stars output in the whole Universe.

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!
« Last Edit: 02/03/2006 14:47:37 by neilep »

Offline Mystericon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02/03/2006 16:37:37 »
Many of earth's elements are believed to have come from the output of a supernova. When the first generation star, still living in this area, exploded in a supernova it gave out elements galore. These elements e.g. Titanium was fused by the supernova, this material then floated out into space where it was caught up in the newly forming earth's gravitational pull. As the the earth was liquid the metals spread out going to the surface and deep into the core. Then as the earth cooled the elements remain where they were when the earth was liquid hereby giving us deposits of elements not capable of being created without a blast similar to a super nova. (I think the heaviest metal that can be created without the help of a super nova is iron.) But in general a super nova is an explosion of huge amounts Hydrogen and Helium. Hope that helped. :)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02/03/2006 16:47:48 »
As ' Moby ' very correctly said.. "WE are all made of stars "...it is so true, you, me, even next doors cat are made from the elements created inside a star.

Offline Mystericon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02/03/2006 17:01:44 »
Moby? So first I was a Beaver and now I'm a whale?! Make up your mind :D

Edit: Oh you weren't refering to me... lol *is a fool*
« Last Edit: 03/03/2006 02:00:11 by Mystericon »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02/03/2006 17:24:28 »
quote:
Originally posted by Mystericon

Moby?

Yes..this Moby http://www.contactmusic.com/new/home.nsf/webpages/mobyx01x05x02:)

« Last Edit: 02/03/2006 17:25:26 by neilep »

Offline Mystericon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03/03/2006 02:04:18 »
Yeah I know, pretty good song too...

Anyway... back to Supernovas just incase you wanted to know this too: After the site of a Supernova has died down, the remenants soon form a neutron star, which if it's gravity is so immense, will collapse in on itself, sortof turning itself inside-out (I think) which creates, yup, you guessed it, a black hole, with a gravity so strong even light cannot escape.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03/03/2006 02:10:36 »
That's good to know Mystericon, in fact if you look around the site you'll find quite a few threads about black holes !!..Even they can't stop the gravity of this site !!

What you doing up ?...ain't cha got skool tomorrow ?

« Last Edit: 03/03/2006 02:11:50 by neilep »

Offline Mystericon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03/03/2006 02:20:27 »
Inset days. The teachers are moderating our coursework. :)

I'll have a browse around, for them tomorrow dinner. Anything to do with Astro-Physics is interesting to me, infact I aspire to be an Astro-Physisist if I can make it. I'm not sure if I'm into it enough

Offline DoctorBeaver

• A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04/03/2006 13:54:26 »
Weren't all elements heavier than lithium produced in stars?

Offline Ophiolite

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04/03/2006 15:35:23 »
Supernovae Spectral Types
There is more than one type of supernova. Rudolph Minkowski set up a classification system based upon some major characteristics of their spectras. [Minkowski, R., Spectra of Supernovae, Publications of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific, Vol. 53, No. 314, p.224. http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-iarticle_query?1941PASP...53..224M]
Type I have no hydrogen lines in their spectra, while Type II do. Later the Type I supernovae were subdivided as follows:

Type Ia has no helium lines, strong silicon lines at maximum magnitude and iron group emission lines in its later stages.
Type Ib has helium lines and no silicon lines at maximum magnitude. Often these will be about 1 - 2 magnitudes fainter than Ia types.
Type Ic has no helium lines and no silicon lines at maximum magnitude. Oxygen and calcium lines my appear in the later stages.

The Type II supernovae are subdivided on the basis of whether their brightness plateaus, then falls in a regular manner (Type IIp), or reaches a maximum and falls off from this, again in a linear way (Type IIL).

Supernovae Causes
Supernovae are caused by one of two principal mechanisms:

Destruction of a stellar companion to a white dwarf in a contact binary system. These account for the Type 1a supernovae.

Catastrophic demise of massive stars (more than ten times solar mass) account for all other supernovae types. The differences between the spectral types are due to variations in the specific history of the star, sometimes related to the effects of nearby companions.

Ib has lost its hydrogen envelope, while helium ‘burns’ on a carbon-oxygen core.
1c has also lost its helium.

The loss of hydrogen and helium is either due to very strong solar winds, or to gravitational stripping by close companion stars.

Type II supernovae have retained at least some of their hydrogen atmosphere.

Supernova Remnants
As noted by mystericon the remnant of a supernova will  be a very dense object, either a neutron star, or, if sufficiently massive, a black hole. This is not  thought to be the case for Type 1a supernovae, the type produced in contact binary systems. In these instances no central object survives the event.

Supernovae Numbers
Since 1885 over three and a half thousand supernovae have been observed. A current list is maintained here.
http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/cfa/ps/lists/Supernovae.html

neilep: I think when you said the energy output of a supernova is more than all the stars output in the whole Universe, you meant to say Galaxy. A small matter of several orders of magnitude difference.:)

DoctorBeaver: I believe you are correct. Nothing heavier than Lithium was produced in the Big Bang (assuming you believe in the Big Bang). Astronomers often refer to heavier elements as 'metals'.

Offline G-1 Theory

• View Profile
    • http://edward-e-kerls.com
« Reply #11 on: 04/03/2006 17:47:27 »
For what I thank is the best picture of a supernovea;

Google    Supernvernova w49b

What mass that is left of it seams to be from its' iron-core.
Ed

"Learn the facts and go on from there, and never stop asking questions."

Admiral Rickover

If it disagrees with experiments it is wrong!"
Dr. Feymann
« Last Edit: 04/03/2006 17:48:14 by G-1 Theory »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #11 on: 04/03/2006 17:47:27 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums