The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Step Aside Commander Data and C-3PO, Robonaut is here?  (Read 1636 times)

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile

Robonaut R2 is scheduled for his first launch in space in February.

It kind of reminds me of C-3PO in The Empire Strikes Back...  Apparently the legs will be an "Upgrade" to come later.

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2011/31jan_r2/
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=20050

Nothing really says how autonomous it is, but apparently it is supposed to be "learning", so I'm guessing it is much more than a simple remote control.

I think I'd design both an autonomous interface along with a "glove suit" control unit.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Step Aside Commander Data and C-3PO, Robonaut is here?
« Reply #1 on: 01/02/2011 21:27:12 »
Wouldn't the transmission delays tend to make a "glove suit" interface impractical? (Assuming I understand what a glove suit is of course.)

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01/02/2011 22:24:22 »
Transmission delays are a problem say from Earth to Mars, or other planets.  Which is a reason why the space rovers are all semi-autonomous.  They take an instruction set, then execute the instructions and report back.

However, the delays would not be an issue for a "local" application.  So, for example, you needed to send the robot outside to repair a solar panel.  You could put on the "gloves"...  and drive it outside while controlling it from inside the shuttle or space station.  One of the discussions in the article was decompression.  Most modern space suits are run at 1/3 ATM, I think, so there are decompression delays when starting a spacewalk, whereas Robonaut could theoretically be sent out quicker (although you still probably wouldn't want to store it outside all the time).

Controlling a rocket pack and the arms at the same time might be challenging, but perhaps one could use a leg/foot interface for the rockets while maintaining dexterity with the arms.

The same would be true for terrestrial applications, for example sending it into a nuclear reactor core.  The human controls it from outside.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01/02/2011 22:32:15 »
Ah right! At those distances it would not be a problem. I was thinking Earth to Satellite distances which could be a bit of a problem. I think even Earth to Moon delays would be too great.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 01/02/2011 22:32:15 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length