The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: wisdom teeth  (Read 2651 times)

Offline leeds laura

• View Profile
wisdom teeth
« on: 04/03/2006 16:23:12 »
can somebody please explain wisdom teeth to me? why do we have them and why do we have to get rid of them? and does everybody have them?! i don't think i have any but this could be because i had some teeth removed when i was fitted for braces years ago. please help! :)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Re: wisdom teeth
« Reply #1 on: 04/03/2006 17:22:03 »
Some people are born without Wisdom teeth.

AS far as I ubderstand they are an evolutionary remnant from our far ancient ancestors. Not everyone needs them removed, I haven't !!...most people I know generally rally round for me to have more put in !!

anyway, here's a link for all your wisdom tooth oriented dental goodness and fun !!

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04/03/2006 19:19:46 »
Trouble with wisdom teeth, they don't necessarily fit into the modern jaw.
If you have more teeth than fit in your mouth that's obviously going to be a problem. I think some people have wisdom teeth that just never make it out of their jaw... I've been cutting my wisdom teeth by degrees for the last 4 years or so, my dentist reckons this is because there is almost but not quite space for them to come through so they've got stuck half way out because they can't get past the 7-molars.
They haven't gone bad yet, so I haven't had them out, but since they're basically below gum level and as such very hard to clean properly I fear it's only a matter of time :(

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 04/03/2006 19:19:46 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums