The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Where would you land if you traveled in time?  (Read 2534 times)

Offline pokerhed123

• First timers
    • View Profile
Where would you land if you traveled in time?
« on: 07/02/2011 09:30:03 »
Verbal Xtacee  asked the Naked Scientists:

I was wondering, if you were to time travel, say 3 years and 6 months forward or backward in time. Considering the earth would be in a different position in the universe, would you show up in empty space???

Thank you for your time, and have a wonderful day!!

Tyler Simpson

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 07/02/2011 09:30:03 by _system »

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 07/02/2011 20:46:17 »
According to SpaceTime as a whole concept it should mean that when you travel backwards 'temporally' I would expect the other dimensions to 'adapt' too, so I guess not?

Offline pokerhed123

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10/02/2011 21:38:01 »
well ive heard that time isnt relative to space, but i dont agree with that cus it doesnt make sense to me from the knowledge i have, but hey im not an astro physicist! thank u for ur comment

Offline Bill S

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11/02/2011 20:18:23 »
Pokerhed123. Let's think about past directed time travel, the possibility of which is, I believe, very much a minority view in scientific circles.  One thing you have to decide, before you can even begin to answer your question, and all the others that would follow it, is this: When you travel back in time are you thinking of going back as you are now and, perhaps, meeting your younger self; or are you thinking that you will go back and be as you were at the point in the past you are going back to? 

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12/02/2011 11:28:54 »
Well, Einstein saw space and time and the other three dimensions as a whole concept. If you assume that they are something alike a jello, or a balloon then you can  squeeze that balloon and see it adapt by changing form. If we assume SpaceTime to have that ability it should adapt to you backing up 'time'. Another way is to see it as we having one same arrow of time, but still finding them differing when comparing with other places, like that speeding rocket. but then you still will find your own SpaceTime to behave like that Jello/balloon.

A third way is to assume that length width and height are the dimensions that exist and that time is just our 'illusion', what happens then if you 'time travel'? As it then will be an illusion I can't say :) That seems up to you if so. A fourth way is to assume that a time travel backwards imply a 'instant jump' from your position 'now' to 'then' placing you in the the middle of nowhere. If I look at it that way I've just disconnected time from space, treating time as my personal pool in where I can take a dip, it having no relation to space or those other dimensions. I know that Einstein called our universe 'SpaceTime' for a reason, and considering that we can travel in time, actually do it until we die, without ever losing contact with where we 'are' I think he had a point.

There are two ways you can 'time travel' forward in 'great jumps'. By moving really close to lights speed in a vacuum, or standing, well sort of, on a neutron star or near the event horizon of a Black Hole. Both will speed up the universe for you, making a thousand years go in a minute. but in neither of those cases will the 'ground' you stand on disappear. The ship will still be there, or the neutronstar/EV, unmoving relative you.

So, if it works that way forward? Why not backward?
« Last Edit: 12/02/2011 11:31:27 by yor_on »

Offline Bill S

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13/02/2011 19:23:37 »
Quote from: yor-on
So, if it works that way forward? Why not backward?

Any suggestions as to how it might work backwards? 

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14/02/2011 07:15:58 »
You know, I don't really expect it to work. The closest to a similar question that might be seen as 'real' for me is a Lorentz contraction, and that one still gives me a headache :) I really wish I could make up my mind on that one..

But I wondered just as you and then I thought about Feynman diagrams, as you there can see a causality-chain that makes sense any which way you read it. But to apply that to this question we will need a 'background' on where it takes place, but assuming this I expect it to be 'still' relative that background.

But it's not that good a comparison. But assuming we could, it would be no weirder than the idea that we all are constantly Lorentz-contracted, coming in all sizes possible, simultaneously, for 'real'?

As that is what it seems to say to me, if I got it right that is? And 'time dilated' similarly too. That the equations make sense doesn't make it easier to swallow for me, and they do make sense.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 14/02/2011 07:15:58 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums