The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How can the moon's position look strangely tilted sometimes?  (Read 19235 times)

Offline Ophiolite

• View Profile
It would be helpful if you would define what you mean by the terms "apparent orientation of the moon" and " rotate several degrees per hour".  They are presented here as equivalent, but appear to me to be wholly different.

Offline Astromut

• First timers
    • View Profile
It would be helpful if you would define what you mean by the terms "apparent orientation of the moon" and " rotate several degrees per hour".  They are presented here as equivalent, but appear to me to be wholly different.
Allow me to show you using a diagram.
newbielink:http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/8914/lineab.jpg [nonactive]
The apparent orientation is the angle between line AB (the line from the north-south line of the moon extended towards the center of the moon's illuminated limb) and the horizon.  0 degrees is a moon with an apparent "vertical" orientation and 90 degrees is a moon with an apparent "horizontal" orientation.  This line can appear to rotate several degrees per hour over the course of the night (or even during the day if the moon's phase permits viewing it at that time).  That is what I mean by the apparent orientation of the moon rotating by several degrees per hour. 

Offline koalastomper

• First timers
    • View Profile
Interesting thread, I've seen a lot of paranoia on YT regarding the moon.  However, in researching this I found a very impressive video of the moon ACTUALLY TILTING.  However, there is nothing exceptional going on here (unless you consider planetary physics exceptional)  I'm glad someone uploaded it.  Nothing odd happening with the moon.  It shifts and tilts with parallax, libration, and latitudinal perspective.

Enjoy!

Offline lorditho39

• First timers
    • View Profile
Ok well I'm not a scientist and I'm not gonna throw a bunch of equations etc up just to confuse people. But has the moon always done this or is it just been happening the last couple of years? There are a lot of people who look up at the sky and just gaze at it. For decades I've been looking at the sky and moon. And I don't care about all your math equations and stuff. For most it looks like themoon has shifted but I believe we have. Moons still in same spot it seems its our axis that has tilted. Maybe this has to do with the pole shift? You have an equation for that. Pole shift has been proven to have happened and not just here on earth. Why is it that ever app or anything you see anywhere still shows the moon like what most are used to? Has everyone forgot to update all their software for the change? If this is so common or nothing to see then why don't they have the correct phases?

Offline lorditho39

• First timers
    • View Profile
I'm not a scientist and dont claim to be one. I'll start with this
1. Has the moon always done this?
2. Why does every company that makes an app still show the "traditional" moon phase that everyone's talking about
3. I have gazed at the sky for decades and have only notice the change in the last couple years.
4. What is written in almanacs?
5. Maybe I'm crazy, maybe everyone who doesn't have a book of equations who sees this is crazy.
6. Has anyone ever heard of people who just troll links to post disinfo
7. Remember nothing to see here lol

Offline lorditho39

• First timers
    • View Profile
Interesting thread, I've seen a lot of paranoia on YT regarding the moon.  However, in researching this I found a very impressive video of the moon ACTUALLY TILTING.  However, there is nothing exceptional going on here (unless you consider planetary physics exceptional)  I'm glad someone uploaded it.  Nothing odd happening with the moon.  It shifts and tilts with parallax, libration, and latitudinal perspective.

This is a very nice video if you watch it. But I don't remember the part where the crescent is on the bottom like stated before......you see it roll side to side. Or now is it that it depends where on the planet you are.?

Offline Ophiolite

• View Profile
6. Has anyone ever heard of people who just troll links to post disinfo
Yes. Welcome to the forum. Will all your posts be of a similar, scintillating standard?

Offline Astromut

• First timers
    • View Profile
Ok well I'm not a scientist and I'm not gonna throw a bunch of equations etc up just to confuse people.
The calculations I posted were not to "confuse people" but to show that this is normal and predictable.
But has the moon always done this or is it just been happening the last couple of years?
Yes, it has always done this.
newbielink:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4eDT8-73ZE [nonactive]
newbielink:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m99L7fUY4rs [nonactive]
newbielink:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2aT-Dn_n7s [nonactive]
There are a lot of people who look up at the sky and just gaze at it. For decades I've been looking at the sky and moon. And I don't care about all your math equations and stuff.
Math is the language of science.  The moon looks like this primarily because of field rotation (lunar libration as shown by someone else in a video above is a secondary and smaller factor).  The degree to which it looks tilted is completely predictable mathematically.  It's simply the result of viewing the sky from the side of a rotating sphere (the earth).
Why is it that ever app or anything you see anywhere still shows the moon like what most are used to?
Moon phase calendars cannot account for field rotation, they do not know where you are on earth or when you are observing other than the date, both of which must be known to properly calculate the apparent tilt.  Some apps do ask for this information and do take it into account though, such as SkySafari, the app I use on my phone.
Has everyone forgot to update all their software for the change?
See above.  If this is some kind of "change" then why is it perfectly normal and predictable using a book that is decades old, long before there were ever "smart phones" to begin with?

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums