The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How Come Can I Erase Pencil From Beneath Ink ?  (Read 5774 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
How Come Can I Erase Pencil From Beneath Ink ?
« on: 07/02/2011 20:27:33 »

Dear Scribeologists,

As a sheepy I of course luff to write......my writings are requested every single day by so many people !  Ewe know...writing autographs is hard work !...but I do put some effort into it...seeing as they pay 20 per signature...and it's not easy using the ' signature-endorsed-stamp' all the time !

Now here is something fascinating !.....I am sure when they read about this in New Scientist it will elevate this to the heights above the quest for the Grand Unified Theory ! !

Here's the knowledge !

Write some pencil on paper thusly

Pencil Written On Paper Thusly

Then write over in ink !

Pencil Written Over In Ink

Then use a rubber (USA translation service: Don't use a condom cos Rubber = Eraser..sheesh!!) and ewe can erase the pencil BENEATH the ink !!

All That's Left Is Pen !!

WOW !!!

How's that done then ?...how can such a feat be performed ? How Can I Erase pencil From Beneath Ink ?

Well, goshy darn !!..I just do not know !!....I want to know though and I guess those who do not know who read this really want to know too !!

So spill the beans !

Hugs and shmishes

mwah mwah mwah

Neil
Executive Officer In Charge Of Asking This Kweschun
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
« Last Edit: 07/02/2011 20:40:37 by neilep »

Offline Joe L. Ogan

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 07/02/2011 20:41:45 »
Very, very carefully.  Thanks for comments.  Joe L. Ogan

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08/02/2011 06:50:38 »
Ink bleeds (spreads) into the paper under the pencil marks, so when the pencil marks are rubbed off it doesn't reveal white paper.
« Last Edit: 08/02/2011 06:52:55 by RD »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08/02/2011 08:37:47 »
Thank ewe Joe for your comment !

..and thank ewe RD for yours too... so...what you're sating is that the ink get's absorbed by the paper and the pencil just lays on top !...so..somehow the ink must filter hrough the pencil barrier also .....gosh !!

Thanks RD

I must try ths on shiny non absorbant paper too and see what happens !

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08/02/2011 08:43:53 »
..somehow the ink must filter hrough the pencil barrier

Certainly bleed around if not also bleed through.

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08/02/2011 10:06:26 »
How do you know that the pencil marks under the ink have gone? Isn't it more likely that you have simply removed the pencil marks that did not get covered by the ink and that the remaining ink-over-pencil marks are indistinguishable from ink marks directly on the paper?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08/02/2011 19:41:39 »
How do you know that the pencil marks under the ink have gone? Isn't it more likely that you have simply removed the pencil marks that did not get covered by the ink and that the remaining ink-over-pencil marks are indistinguishable from ink marks directly on the paper?

Thanks Graham !

good question and one that i was fully prepared for !.....*looks for notes*...ah..here they are !

Because when the two were combined they were notably darker combined...once I had erased the pencil the blob of ink was considerably lighter in appearance.......and..i did use a sample of just ink as a reference !..

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09/02/2011 16:33:07 »
There is a way to discover: use blue stylo ink and at the end of the procedure discolour the ink with the specific pen; if now the pencil marks are visible, it means they was under the ink.

I have just made a try of this, and the pencil marks are not present anylonger, so RD's theory is experimentally verified!
« Last Edit: 09/02/2011 16:41:00 by lightarrow »

Offline SeanB

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09/02/2011 17:08:27 »
The graphite smears from the pencil do not penetrate the paper to any appreciable depth, whilst the ink from the pen tends to be absorbed by the paper, to a much greater extent. When you erase you are using a mild abrasive ( mixed in the elastomer of the eraser as a fine powder) to mechanically remove the upper surface of the paper, which also removes the graphite marks from the pencil. The ink is also removed, but to a lesser degree, you will have to use a lot more effort to erase the pen marks, and may even abrade through the paper. The reason you can erase the pencil from apparently beneath the pen is that the line is not really a continuous covering on the paper, but is a series of discrete marks, only blending together when viewed from a distance - use a magnifier to see this on the next sheet.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #8 on: 09/02/2011 17:08:27 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums