The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is how we feel linked to what we eat. I think so  (Read 2549 times)

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
Is how we feel linked to what we eat. I think so
« on: 05/03/2006 12:16:11 »
Simple carbohydrate or sugars burn up fast and therefore deplete quicker. This affects endurance and strength but it also affected your concentration levels too. You may get a short burst of energy 20 to 30 minutes but then you get a sharp drop well below the original level. This happens because the body produces insulin to counter act the sudden rise in blood sugar. Any lift we get whether in mood or energy is reversed by this process. For many people the answer is to reach for another sweet or cola for a carb fix. It becomes a cycle through out the day. The result is exhaustion and a general depressed state by the end of the day. Have a hot chocolate and a few biscuits! So much of all this is around how we feel when we eat. what do you think?
« Last Edit: 05/03/2006 12:16:39 by Hadrian »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Re: Is how we feel linked to what we eat. I think so
« Reply #1 on: 05/03/2006 14:02:57 »
Sounds perfectly plausible to me Hadrian. Certainly, taking the chemistry out of the equation ingesting food can be a very emotional event. Comfort food eating gives great pleasure, going out for a meal and delighting in the fragrance, aroma and taste is almost akin to a ritual for some people as they revel and relish in every morsel.A psychosomatic reaction as a consequence of the sensations. It does ' feel ' good to eat....but your theory sounds perfectly sopund too and I am sure is found in truth.

Lets hope a passing emotional biologist-chef calls in and places a comment from his menu here....

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05/03/2006 14:33:32 »
Yes indeed we can link any sensory input to a memory. So a smell can link you to your role of being a child and eating something your mum has made. All the feeling of being cared for and loved can come flooding back.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 05/03/2006 14:33:32 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums