The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How are powerful experiences burned into your memory so quickly?  (Read 2239 times)

Offline briligg

• www.briligg.com
    • View Profile
I have noticed that if our dogs really enjoyed or were really upset by something, they remember that forever after, even if the experience was brief, or it happened somewhere we don't return to for years. I have strong memories of a few occasions in my life that were also very emotionally loaded, but because i am human, i go over such experiences in my mind many times, and so of course the memory is reinforced. Presumably, our dogs don't do that.

Is there something hormonal or something like that that happens during very emotional experiences which causes strong permanent memories of those experiences to be formed? Is the mechanism understood at all?

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Our dogs seem to dream about stuff all the time. One of them even lets out little yips, so I'm pretty sure he's barking in his dream. I'm not sure they are so different from us in some respects.

Offline briligg

• www.briligg.com
    • View Profile
Hm, dreaming... i guess that could be how some memories are reinforced for dogs and other mammals.

One of our dogs sometimes starts howling in her sleep and we have to wake her up.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums