The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How Does My Phone Detect Metal ? What Is It Sending Out & Receiving ?  (Read 6971 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Dearest Metal-Detectorologists,

As a sheepy I of course luff metal and luff detecting it too !...It's all I think about really. I wake up, and then wham !!..the thought about detecting metal monopolises my every waking thought !

So, ewe can imagine my surprise when I found this application that turns my mobile phone into a metal detector. (US Translation service: Mobile Phone = Cell phone..sheesh !!)

Look here it is detecting absolutely no metal inside a potato !

No Metal Inside This Spud

and then ...see here...lots of metal in the frame of this ironing board

A Frame Of An Ironing Board Which Has Metal In It !!

Gosh !!..I am quite literally beside myself with joy here as I detect metal where ever I go ! It even found metal in coins !!...yes !!..it really did !!...and there I was thinking that coins were made from cardboard !

so,

How Does My Phone Detect Metal ?  What  Is It Sending Out & Receiving ?

whajafink ?

Anyway, whilst I await some of your kind comments I am going out back in the field to find some treasure.......I'm lucky because I know hedgerows have phone chargers in them...lucky me eh ?

Hugs and shmishes

mwah mwah mwah

Neil
There Be Metal In There Fields
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
« Last Edit: 11/02/2011 19:51:26 by neilep »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
No takers ?

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
The phone may have a magnetometer (magnetic compass).

Putting a magnetic compass close to iron would make it go wonky. 

Does the phone detect aluminium ?, (try non-magnetic metal kitchenalia or aluminium drink can)

If it detects non-magnetic metal, like aluminium, then the strength of radio signals transmitted-recieved by the phone may be being used to "detect" metal.   
« Last Edit: 13/02/2011 16:48:39 by RD »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
The phone may have a magnetometer (magnetic compass).

Putting a magnetic compass close to iron would make it go wonky. 

Does the phone detect aluminium ?, (try non-magnetic metal kitchenalia or aluminium drink can)

If it detects non-magnetic metal, like aluminium, then the strength of radio signals transmitted-recieved by the phone may be being used to "detect" metal.   

Thansk ewe RD...

yes the phone does have a compass thingy.....I did the experiment and it quite happily picks up aluminum too....so..it must be a signal thing.......thanks again !

Offline Bass

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
 Neil

I suspect your phone has a small magnetic coil of some sort that acts as the compass.  Most metal detectors use a coil to generate a magnetic field, then measure the changes in that field created by nearby metallic objects. 

I have a VLF (Very Low Frequency) metal detector that is good up to about 10' (that's a bit more than 3 meters for the metrically non-impaired) in non-metallic soils and is pretty good at discriminating different types of metals.  I also own a VLF detector, which is a geeky gadget that uses the VLF radio waves generated by the US Navy to help them detect submarines.  It does a great job of finding buried locomotives and school buses, as well as buried pipes and sometimes faults- but not terribly useful for mineral exploration.

Try your phone under some high voltage lines (but don't blame me if your new phone spouts flames) :o

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Neil

I suspect your phone has a small magnetic coil of some sort that acts as the compass.  Most metal detectors use a coil to generate a magnetic field, then measure the changes in that field created by nearby metallic objects. 

I have a VLF (Very Low Frequency) metal detector that is good up to about 10' (that's a bit more than 3 meters for the metrically non-impaired) in non-metallic soils and is pretty good at discriminating different types of metals.  I also own a VLF detector, which is a geeky gadget that uses the VLF radio waves generated by the US Navy to help them detect submarines.  It does a great job of finding buried locomotives and school buses, as well as buried pipes and sometimes faults- but not terribly useful for mineral exploration.

Try your phone under some high voltage lines (but don't blame me if your new phone spouts flames) :o

Fantastic info..Thank ewe ver much BASS !...have ewe ever found some really nice finds ?

I appreciate the info regarding my phone and if I do go play with the metal detector beneath some pylons I will blame JimBob !...cos everything is his fault anyway !  ;D

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
Good grief! A mobly fone with a metal detector, whatever next?!

Eureka, I've got it, a mobly fone that makes phone calls, now that's what you call a novel idea.

Offline teragram

• View Profile
Is it possible that metal in the vicinity of the phone will absorb energy from the phone’s antennae, resulting in a change in current in it’s output stage?
If so, then this could be translated into a reading on the phone's display.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Is it possible that metal in the vicinity of the phone will absorb energy from the phone’s antennae, resulting in a change in current in it’s output stage?
If so, then this could be translated into a reading on the phone's display.

I think that's the most likely reason. Thanks to mutual inductance, the chunk of metal will lower the impedance of the phone's antenna and pull more current from the drive circuit.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums