The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How Does Beetroot Lower Blood Pressure and Rosemary Elevate It ?  (Read 6602 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile

Dearest Academic Peeps Who Know Ever So Much !

It must be so great knowing stuff !...Ewe can all get together and talk 'shop' and really chat for hours on so many things !...unlike me.......I can't even maintain a conversation with a cabbage !

Anyway, as a sheepy I of course luff Rosemary and I kind of like Beetroot ....I like the borsht soup !

I have been told that beetroot lowers blood pressure whilst Rosemary elevates it !...

Well, I knocked on Rosemary's door at 3am this morning ...she did not answer so I continued knocking and banging and ringing and yelling incessantly and when she stuck her head out the window she was most upset and quite rude !.....well !!..I see what they mean because my BP raised because of that encounter !

Beetroot Being all Beety Earlier Today

Rosemary Being All Rosemaryish Yesterday  !

That's one sexy herb !!..oh yes !!!

So.....how does Rosemary (the herb) elevate BP and Beetroot lower it ?

Gosh, if I made some beetroot and rosemary soup my BP would just not know what to do !

Hope ewe can help

hugs and shmishes

mwah mwah mwah

Neil
Beetroot and Rosemary Investigator
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
"I have been told that beetroot lowers blood pressure whilst Rosemary elevates it !..."
By whom?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
"I have been told that beetroot lowers blood pressure whilst Rosemary elevates it !..."
By whom?

Thanks BC...it was on BBC Radio 4's Food Programme !....No explanation given...hence my question about it !

Offline briligg

• www.briligg.com
    • View Profile
Beetroot contains high quantities of nitrates, which are converted in the body to nitrites, which have a vasodilating effect.
http://drpinna.com/beets-and-high-blood-pressure-2-11729
Don't know about rosemary.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Beetroot contains high quantities of nitrates, which are converted in the body to nitrites, which have a vasodilating effect.
http://drpinna.com/beets-and-high-blood-pressure-2-11729
Don't know about rosemary.

GOSH !!thank ewe very much briligg...and thank ewe for the link also !...and welcome to the site too !

ps: Luff your art !!
« Last Edit: 15/02/2011 19:12:43 by neilep »

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
This looks like a classic example of the Natural = good; artificial = bad idea.
Those same nitrates, when present in water as run off from fields fertilised with lots of nitrate  or added to preserved meat are condemned as the cause of blue baby syndrome and potential carcinogens.
But when they are naturally present in beetroot (and spinach if you are interested) then they are "good for you".

What's the story there?
Do people really not understand that the nitrate in doesn't know how it came to be in your food and cannot choose to be a force for good or ill accordingly?

Offline briligg

• www.briligg.com
    • View Profile
Do people really not understand that the nitrate in doesn't know how it came to be in your food and cannot choose to be a force for good or ill accordingly?
I had assumed that beetroot has a variation of nitrate, and maybe accompanying chemicals, that somehow modulate the effect to make it more beneficial. There must be all kinds of different nitrates, right? Is there really nothing different about the nitrates in preserved meat?

Thanks for the compliment, neilep. Glad you like it.
« Last Edit: 15/02/2011 22:16:27 by briligg »

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
There are lots of nitrates, but once they are in solution they all give rise to the same nitrate ion, and it can't "remember" where it came from.
There really is no difference.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums