The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can we change our climate?  (Read 4984 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Can we change our climate?
« on: 22/02/2011 18:08:40 »
Another reason to try and understand atmospheric chemistry is in case there comes a time when we have to try and do some geo-engineering.  Dr Peter Braesicke joins us to explain our options...
Read a transcript of the interview by clicking here

or Listen to it now or [download as MP3]
« Last Edit: 22/02/2011 18:08:40 by _system »

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 22/02/2011 18:08:41 »
« Last Edit: 22/02/2011 18:08:41 by _system »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23/02/2011 14:04:14 »
I think Peter Braesicke has some good points.

Dave -   So, I guess one thing you'd be really worried about, doing something like this deliberately, is if you're going to produce what would look like a minor side effect with respect to the whole globe, but with respect to the people living there, it could be absolutely disastrous.

Peter -   Exactly, I think that is always what could happen if you basically twiddle around with the climate system.  You might get something right like global mean temperature, which obviously is the kind of metric that is important, but that doesn’t really tell you anything about your livelihood locally and in any given country.  And if you change the circulation such that a monsoon would fall in India then it would have very severe consequences for people there.

[...]

Dave -   But then again I guess, if the world was in a really, really bad state, due to global warming then the side effects might be less than the possible outcome of what's happening anyway.

Peter -   It might be.  It’s very, very hard to say and I think it’s important that we talk about and think about those things.  But I think we have to keep in mind, whatever you do there are winners and losers, and to regulate this in terms of some “global world citizen” view is, I think, an incredibly difficult thing to do.

I think this is the crux of the problem.  Whether or not Global Warming is real, or is as bad as we're being led to believe.  There will be some winners, and some losers.

I have no doubt that by the end of this century, we will try some deliberate climate modifications.  Some to combat global warming if it should become a critical issue.  Some to improve upon nature.

Perhaps that is part of the reality of the entire Climate Change debate.

It is a global issue, with fossil fuels being produced by, exported, or imported to nearly every nation in the world.  The groups that neither produce, use, nor benefit from trade or shipping that consumes fossil fuels are few and far between.

An effort to seed the atmosphere with sulphur dioxide would undoubtedly lead to acid rain somewhere.

Every weather related phenomenon is now being blamed on Global Warming.  Consider how the blame game will go around if we try to reverse Nature, and an area is hit with drought, flooding, or dangerous temperature swings.

I've wondered if we could geo-engineer rebuilding the Northern Ice.

But...  methods to keep ice in the North, or hinder its melting might have warming effects elsewhere with unintended consequences.

Offline deanna

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24/02/2011 00:03:10 »
I think Peter Braesicke has some good points.

Dave -   So, I guess one thing you'd be really worried about, doing something like this deliberately, is if you're going to produce what would look like a minor side effect with respect to the whole globe, but with respect to the people living there, it could be absolutely disastrous.

Peter -   Exactly, I think that is always what could happen if you basically twiddle around with the climate system.  You might get something right like global mean temperature, which obviously is the kind of metric that is important, but that doesn’t really tell you anything about your livelihood locally and in any given country.  And if you change the circulation such that a monsoon would fall in India then it would have very severe consequences for people there.

[...]

Dave -   But then again I guess, if the world was in a really, really bad state, due to global warming then the side effects might be less than the possible outcome of what's happening anyway.

Peter -   It might be.  It’s very, very hard to say and I think it’s important that we talk about and think about those things.  But I think we have to keep in mind, whatever you do there are winners and losers, and to regulate this in terms of some “global world citizen” view is, I think, an incredibly difficult thing to do.

I think this is the crux of the problem.  Whether or not Global Warming is real, or is as bad as we're being led to believe.  There will be some winners, and some losers.

I have no doubt that by the end of this century, we will try some deliberate climate modifications.  Some to combat global warming if it should become a critical issue.  Some to improve upon nature.

Perhaps that is part of the reality of the entire Climate Change debate.

It is a global issue, with fossil fuels being produced by, exported, or imported to nearly every nation in the world.  The groups that neither produce, use, nor benefit from trade or shipping that consumes fossil fuels are few and far between.

An effort to seed the atmosphere with sulphur dioxide would undoubtedly lead to acid rain somewhere.

Every weather related phenomenon is now being blamed on Global Warming.  Consider how the blame game will go around if we try to reverse Nature, and an area is hit with drought, flooding, or dangerous temperature swings.

I've wondered if we could geo-engineer rebuilding the Northern Ice.

But...  methods to keep ice in the North, or hinder its melting might have warming effects elsewhere with unintended consequences.
   why is everyone still pretending this isnt allready going on.haarp and chemtrails are making people sick,blocking our sunlight,and totally destroying the ph in our soil.all the trees in my area are dead or decomposing at an alarming rate.google it.its WORLD WIDE

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26/02/2011 17:10:19 »
Can we change the climate? I think we have already done so in a perod as short of 200 years so I feel that the answer is yes. Of course there would be winners and losers. Generally the winners, relatively, (if nothing is done) will be the industrialised nations with the resources to redeploy their populations and to build adequate defences. It is an irony that it is these nations that are the prime cause of the problem. The losers will be the rest, especially countries like Bangladesh who have vast populations on low lying land. I say "relatively" because we will all lose it's just that the industrialised countries will suffer less in terms of lost lives but it will cost a lot of their wealth.

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03/04/2011 04:48:49 »
It will also cost us some of our sleep :)
As you say Graham, we're the primary cause of it, the industrialized world. But we didn't know, and even if we had I doubt that the people then would have been prepared to go slower with our progress. Progress kills, if it kills too many we where we live we react and something is done, regulations came into play. If it kills far away? I don't know? I think that as a species we first care about those close to us, and then we look further, depending on knowledge and understanding, maybe? Or just plain empathy.. But that's a problem, some have it to greater degree, some don't. It's a, probably genetic, mix. But education can help us all.
==

It's always easier to kill when it is a button you hit.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 03/04/2011 04:48:49 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length