The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What fertilizers to use?  (Read 2288 times)

Offline Bill.D.Katt.

• View Profile
What fertilizers to use?
« on: 24/02/2011 00:50:48 »
I have several potted plants, and was wondering if there was a general rule for the kind of fertilizer that should be used. Is it similar for an entire family or genus? Or is it plant specific? I'm looking for very rapid growth rate.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
What fertilizers to use?
« Reply #1 on: 24/02/2011 00:57:30 »
I suspect you will get a lot of answers that might best be described as a load of manure  :D

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
What fertilizers to use?
« Reply #2 on: 24/02/2011 12:40:40 »
I suspect you will get a lot of answers that might best be described as a load of manure  :D

Phew! For a minute there I thought you were going to say s**t.

There are many fertilisers which are genus specific, rose and tomato feed for example. But I have yet to come across a plant which can read the labels of these packets. Most can be used for any plant, depending on the result you are seeking.

All you need do is match the fertiliser to the type of plant and your required end result.

The main ingredients of a fertiliser will be nitrates, phosphates and potassium.

Nitrogen promotes growth rate but can weaken the plant and will result in more leaf and less flower/fruit.

Phosphates are good for strong roots and flowering/fruiting

Potassium is a good general strengthener, promotes hardiness and good health.

The only other consideration is acidity. Use an ericaceous feed on acid loving plants.

Rapid growth rate can be counterproductive, leaving the plant weakened and giving a poor show of flowers or fruit crop.

For a good all rounder use chicken pellets. A tad on the smelly side but worth while.

With some plants it can pay to use a high nitrogen fertiliser at first, then move to a tomato feed. Also be careful with watering. Tap water is not the best and can have dire results on ericaceous plants such as Azaleas. Overwatering can also have dire consequences, causing rotting and resulting in shallow rooting.

I don't wish to advertise any particular products, but there can be little doubting the quality of Miricle-gro, Miracid and Phostrogen and the likes of Levington's tomato feed.

Offline Bill.D.Katt.

• View Profile
What fertilizers to use?
« Reply #3 on: 24/02/2011 15:35:29 »
I always use manure if it's for outside plants, the load of s**t is the best outside fertilizer.  :)

Thanks! I'm currently looking for a fast growth rate for a fairly obscure flowering plant. I have some 10-30-20 on it right now, but I also have some P2O5 that I was considering using. I unfortunately killed one of them after leaving for a while, letting it get too dry, and then re-hydrating it too fast.

Offline JohnCompostCossham

• First timers
    • View Profile
    • Low Carbon Lifestyle
What fertilizers to use?
« Reply #4 on: 27/02/2011 14:46:31 »
I suggest a top-dressing with good rich garden compost, or vermicompost, which will release nutrients over a long time, and for liquid fertiliser, I have several options.

Compost tea: onoin-net of compost seeped in rain water for a while, will give a dilute solution of the nutrients in the compost.

Comfrey: has very deep roots and brings lots of excellent nutrients into the leaves.  Also copes with being cut back 2 or 3 times a year.  Put the leaves into a container and pack them down, the liquid which comes off is very rich and needs to be diluted to use as a fertiliser.  Altrnatively, put comfrey in water like the onion-net of compost, you get a more dilute tea.

Nettles and other weeds may also be used instead of Comfrey.

Dilute urine also has lots of nitrogen and phosphorus. :D

The Naked Scientists Forum

What fertilizers to use?
« Reply #4 on: 27/02/2011 14:46:31 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length