The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: seeing rainbows?  (Read 16882 times)

Offline chemosabi

• First timers
    • View Profile
seeing rainbows?
« on: 10/09/2003 06:39:20 »
Hello! I just stumbled upon this site as I am seeking an answer to my medical challenge. What a relief to know that you are available!

I am a late forty something female, with a recent (7 years) long history of Hodgkin disease. A six month round of Chemo, (thus my user name)that didn't "take", an auto stem cell transplant, that didn't "take", nine months after that transplant I had another with my brothers cells which so far (3 happy yrs.) is a go.
 Now, onto my seemingly unrelated question, although my condition started around the time of my first chemotherapy. I have a rainbow flashing in my right eye, strobing, and if I didn't know that my blood pressure is low, it would feel stroke like...I have never had a stroke so I don't know where I even get this "feeling". This at first would happen about twice a month, go away for a month or two and return. I saw an opthamalogist three yrs ago (during my last transplant recovery) and he said my eyes were in good health. These episodes are occuring two to three times a week now. About two weeks ago I was the flashing started ( it always weirds me out, can't concentrate til it's over)then suddenly I lost the upper half of my vision. Well, no need to tell you I was FREAKED. I saw the opthamalogist again and he pronounces my eyes healthy. His explanation was that I am having migrane headaches without the pain. Well, I normally don't have headaches, just on  occasion (although I have had some hummers during bouts of vomiting during treatment). I want to respect the doctor, but my gut reaction  feels diffently. I have had to rely on this, especially the two years my oncologist was telling me I was in remission and my body was "screaming" NO. Which ended with me having my first transplant. I am not an alarmist, I have been thru more than I care to remember. I realize that  menopause has some symptoms, but I would appreciate any input as it would ease my nagging feelings about this issue.

Boy, did this get long winded or what! My apologies.[:I]
Thank you,
Deborah

Offline chemosabi

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: seeing rainbows?
« Reply #1 on: 10/09/2003 06:42:04 »
Geez, I wanted to mention that I have no floaters in my vision, just the colors and strobing/flashing.
Thanks....Deborah

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #2 on: 10/09/2003 11:31:09 »
hi Deborah, welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your experiences. I'm delighted to hear that you have had a good result from your allogeneic transplant.

Is the flashing in your eye confined to the right eye, or to the right field of vision ? In other words is everything on the right side a problem, or just what your right eye 'sees' (your vision on the right is a composite from both left and right eyes hence it is important to determine whether this is an eye problem or a brain problem e.g. migraine).

There are a number of possible explanations and low blood pressure could cause the funny visual symptoms you're experiencing - rather like standing up quickly from a hot bath. However, there are other possibilities including retinal detachment, retinal venous occlusion or an arterial thrombus (amaurosis fugax) which should be excluded. Because of your underlying haematological condition you may be at increased risk of hyperviscosity or thrombosis. You haven't got any other conditions like irregular heart beat have you ?

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline chemosabi

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10/09/2003 16:31:17 »
Thank you for your attention Chris,
Your question of it being confined to my right eye is interesting. It feels like it is confined to the right side of my field of vision. Soon after my last transplant I was having irregular heartbeats. I wore a monitor and it showed nothing... But that cleared up in a couple of months. Thinking of this is making me feel as though I am a hypochondriac (sp?). Like I said in my last post, if my body is "speaking" to me I try to listen. During the time that I had continued symptoms of cancer and the docs (3) were telling me I was healthy, I felt like I was going nuts...If I can't trust my body then what?
I look forward to your opinion,
Deborah

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #4 on: 10/09/2003 17:59:56 »
If the symptoms are related to the visual field on the right, rather than the eye then the problem lies in the brain. The suggestion that these might be migrainous therefore gains weight, although I'd still consider the hypotension as a likely cause. However, in view of your past problems why not see your doctor and ask them to have a look at you ?

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11/09/2003 00:21:01 »
Hi Deborah,

Maybe your name should be chemo-savy.  I know squat about your condition, but I want to encourage you to continue to follow your instincts and NEVER let anyone make you feel bad about searching for solutions.  That's very different than being a hypochondriac.  They don't have anywhere near as much at stake as you do.

Offline Sandylou

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12/09/2003 01:10:37 »
Hi Deborah,
I am new to this sight and like you I also stumbled upon it.
I have been feeling like a Hypocondriac also.
What Cris has said about no letting anyone make you feel that way has made me more determined to see what is going on with me?
 You have been through so much  you must be a very strong person.
I admire your courage.
Like you I feel that my body is telling me something, I have been going to the Doctors and telling them something is not right, I should not feel this way.
Thank you for saying that I will also persist.
Good Luck Sandylou

Sandra Houghton

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 12/09/2003 01:10:37 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums