The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: The loss of human error !!  (Read 2983 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
The loss of human error !!
« on: 08/03/2006 11:57:44 »
Perhaps this should be in ' Just Chat ' but I believe there may a science beind the subject.

TO ERR IS TO HUMAN yes ?...it's part of our condition and the nature of what we are !

Well, this post in inspired by another_someones entry in the Dear Diary thread (where I must say he did NOT start off by saying ' Dear Diary' Hmmpth !!

It was suggested that 'Is SatNav going to do to our sense of direction, and map reading skills, what the pocket calculator did to mental arithmetic? '

George, I heard a ' kind of ' related argument that with the advent of digital photography, where you can delete all the piccys you do not want that all those snippets of real life where things just do not turn out right will eventually be lost forever. I think it was an archivist of memorabilia being quite concerned that the ' instances ' of human errors regarding photographs, that those unique moments originally caught on film will be diminished from an archival point of view.

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
Re: The loss of human error !!
« Reply #1 on: 08/03/2006 13:38:56 »
I'd say that from my own experience (now that I have more memory card than I normally take photos before downloading) that I now take more pictures in total and don't delete that many... so more random photos that don't come out that well are kept in total.
Of course, they're on my computer hard drive not on paper so perhaps more vulnerable to being lost, but that's true of most of the photos I deem "good" too.

another_someone

« Reply #2 on: 08/03/2006 16:18:40 »
I am with Rosy on this Ė I hate deleting anything, it is all information, and just as I will not (except in absolute extremis) throw out books, and only very reluctantly will throw out magazines, so I will not delete photographs.

I understand that this may be different for a professional photographer who is taking photographs for a definite purpose, and in any case, it may even be that he has no right to keep the photos himself and would be loathed to hand over the bad photos to his client; but as an amateur, I am not under the same constraints.

The question also arises as to what is a bad photo.  Some photos clearly are so blurred, or otherwise damaged, as to contain no useful information; but other photos are merely not what you desired to portray of the scene, but may be useful at some future time to create a very different image to the one you have in your minds eye today.

A far more serious problem with electronic storage than that of whether the results have been edited (this has always been a problem anyway, authors have often thrown away rough drafts of their work), but it may well be that even the good material will be stored in a format that is unreadable to future generation.

George
« Last Edit: 08/03/2006 16:21:10 by another_someone »

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08/03/2006 16:28:45 »
You can't speak fore all photographers.  I donít mean any offence to any one on this but I was a professional photographer many years ago and I always gave all my shoots over. I found it made me more careful and reduced my error rate and sometime revealed new insights in to photography itself. If you work in a photo lab then you know you are managing a process that is interruptive and errors in time etc can lead to wonderful pictures. I think it comes down to self confidence and not seeing yourself as defined by others.

What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say.

Offline wolram

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08/03/2006 16:55:46 »

In the days of roundabouts that confuse the human senses, sat nav is good, i have driven aroud a
place, (where i want to get) for ages, i mean i can (see the *****) place) but the roads go any
way but to that place, stupid road planners.

A born optomist

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08/03/2006 17:26:01 »
I too store all my photos however they have turned out...

Hadrian makes an excellent point...From the acrchivsts point of view it was those moments when photos capture the scene where people/things were not ready..someone sneezing, coughing, looking the other way, not smiling but frowning, even picking their nose..all those examples , although thay may be kept on a storage device could well be susceptible to corruption and therefore lost forever.

Thank you all for your great replies, especially WOLRAM for posting in the wrong thread !!! :D:D

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 08/03/2006 17:26:01 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums