The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How Come Glass Is So Tough ? A -Just-Above-Absolute -Zero Question  (Read 4521 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile

Dearest Kelvinologists,

As a sheepy I of course luff glass....Glass is my all time favourite transparent glassy thing that is made form glass !

Glass is like...well tough  isn't it ?...Look at it here as it very easily contains a strong acid !

Glass Containing A Strong Acid Just Yesterday

And I recently saw a program where something was lowered to just a soupcon above Absolute Zero....and this was done is a glass thingy too !

What I want to know is How come glass is so tough ?..it's impervious to anything isn't it ?...what can destroy glass (baring heat)   ?...and what contains  the thing that can destroy glass ? Do ewe know what I mean ?

It's Friday night, it's 8:18pm and I must know the answer . I am going to sit here and tap my fingers on the desk until I get an answer ...cos...well......I don't know it !!...do ewe ?

Hugs and shmishes

mwah mwah mwah

Neil
Glass Investigator
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Well, you can't keep hydrofluoric acid in a glass bottle, because it dissolves glass. It's best to keep it in a plastic bottle.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Allegedly sodium hydroxide can dissolve glass ...
http://chemistry.about.com/b/2010/09/08/drain-cleaner-can-dissolve-glass.htm
[Don't try this at home]
« Last Edit: 25/02/2011 21:55:52 by RD »

Offline Supercryptid

• View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/sc2/Trunko
The Si-O bond that makes up quartz (often the principle material used in glass) is very strong and stable. It's difficult for other chemicals to react with it. That's why it can store a large variety of acids and bases. As pointed out earlier, there are chemicals that can react with it like hydrofluoric acid.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Sodium hydroxide definitely attacks glass.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Well, you can't keep hydrofluoric acid in a glass bottle, because it dissolves glass. It's best to keep it in a plastic bottle.

Thank ewe Geezer !...gosh something that is best kept in a plastic bottle ! hydrofluoric acid....stronger than vinegar yes ?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Allegedly sodium hydroxide can dissolve glass ...
http://chemistry.about.com/b/2010/09/08/drain-cleaner-can-dissolve-glass.htm
[Don't try this at home]

Woo Thank ewe RD. I guess I can try it at my neighbours home !..Thanks for the link.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
The Si-O bond that makes up quartz (often the principle material used in glass) is very strong and stable. It's difficult for other chemicals to react with it. That's why it can store a large variety of acids and bases. As pointed out earlier, there are chemicals that can react with it like hydrofluoric acid.

Thank ewe very much Supercryptid  I guess even glass has it's limits too ! I appreciate your answer.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Sodium hydroxide definitely attacks glass.

Gosh !..Thanks BC, I guess they've made a chemical containment faux pas eh ?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Thank ewe everyone who has helped me here. May I ask if ewe have any comments about the reliability of glass when conducting experiments at just above absolute zero ?...would it not just crumble ?...well...clearly not seeing as I views the experiment myself ....Hang On !! (goes to check You Tube)

VOILA !!

« Last Edit: 27/02/2011 00:14:53 by neilep »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
See how the superfluid goes right through the plug ?...!

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Yup! You need to be careful not to put superfluid in your car's windscreen washer bottle.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Yup! You need to be careful not to put superfluid in your car's windscreen washer bottle.

Yes ewe're right of course. i tried that and it was a bad move !...it didn't clean the window at all ! I had to return it for a full no quibble refund !

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums