The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How could I obtain deuterium and tritium in space?  (Read 3242 times)

Offline jaiii

• View Profile
Hi,
We have a hypothetical situation. I am located in the spacecraft in space. And I need tritium and deuterium as fuel for a fusion reactor.

Is this possible? And if so how?

Thank

[MOD EDIT - PLEASE FORMAT YOUR POST TITLES AS QUESTIONS, IN-LINE WITH THE FORUM POLICY, THANKS]
« Last Edit: 01/03/2011 18:25:27 by chris »

Offline Supercryptid

• View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/sc2/Trunko
How could I obtain deuterium and tritium in space?
« Reply #1 on: 02/03/2011 06:47:31 »
To get enough deuterium and tritium for practical reactor applications, you would need to get some shipped to you or carry some onboard. You can't rely on the thin vacuumous gas in space (which is something on the order of a few molecules per cubic meter). Well, probably not anyway. Buzzard's Ramjet can theoretically obtain enough gas for fusion if it is travelling fast enough. I don't know if such a technology would rely on proton-proton fusion (light hydrogen fusion) or if deuterium-tritium fusion is also practical with it. Seeing how much more abundant light hydrogen is than the other isotopes, a Buzzard's Ramjet would probably need a reactor capable of using that as a fuel.

Offline jaiii

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02/03/2011 07:44:33 »
Thank.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 02/03/2011 07:44:33 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums