The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What Is Botox ? What Does It Do ? How Does It Do It ?  (Read 5076 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Dearest Botoxologists,

As a sheepy I of course do not require the need for Botox. Ewe've seen my piccy ! I am le adonis sheepy ! *le smug*

But take a look at Cecilia Postelthwaite Henrietta Fille Riche The Third.

Cecilia receiving Botox joyness

Nice eh ?  Being delivered next Tuesday

Being an example of  pure perfection I have never had the need to investigate the nature of Botox so can I ask ewe please all about it ?

What Is Botox ? What Does It Do ? How Does It Do It ?

I was going to ask my neighbour because he can always be heard through the walls saying "bo" something "ox".....It's usually when I am practising the drums all night...anyway, I am sure it's "botox" he seems to cry out. Perhaps he sells the stuff !....I'll have to ask him at 3am tomorrow morning !......until then.........can ewe help ?

Thanks

Hugs and shmishes

mwah mwah mwah

Neil
Can Ewe Botox An Ox ?
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Bill.D.Katt.

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 01/03/2011 21:37:30 »
Botox is the toxin botulinum. Probably the most dangerous poison on earth. I think it paralysis the muscles.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01/03/2011 21:56:15 »
Botox is the toxin botulinum. Probably the most dangerous poison on earth. I think it paralysis the muscles.

Huh! If all they want to do is get paralytic, why don't they just go down the pub on Friday night?

Offline Bill.D.Katt.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02/03/2011 01:34:03 »

Huh! If all they want to do is get paralytic, why don't they just go down the pub on Friday night?
Wish I knew. Considering the country I live in I can't legally speak from experience, but anything has to be more fun than poison injections. :)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02/03/2011 08:46:50 »
Thanks very much ...so...what they are doing is injecting a healthy dose of botulism...that's nice !!..and it paralyses the muscles !!...why's that then ?

Offline BenV

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02/03/2011 11:17:43 »
I think the idea is to paralyse certain muscles so that they relax and stop deforming the skin into wrinkles - as such, the skin looks smoother and apparently younger.

Of course, it has the side effect of severely limited facial expressions, making a person seem emotionless - I'm not sure how attractive that is, personally.  Still, it's probably an improvement on the "permanently surprised" expression post facelift.

Offline lab monkey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02/03/2011 16:52:47 »

What is Botox?

It's a preparation based on the neurotoxic protein produced by the anaerobic rod shaped bacteria Clostridium botulinum.  Botulinum toxin is widely considered the most toxic substance known due to the extremely low doses needed for the toxin to be fatal (less than 1ug is fatal by IV, IM or inhalation).

It was originally known as "sausage poison" as the bacteria were often found growing in old, and badly kept, meat.  It even gained it's name from this; "botulus" is Latin for sausage!
It is often considered a potential biological warfare agent, although it is unstable in air, but it has been reported to be used on at least 3 occasions.

What does it do?

As suggested by other posters, Botox is used to paralyse muscles to hide wrinkles.  The toxin causes a flaccid paralysis which causes the muscles to relax (as opposed to a spastic paralysis which causes them to contract).  Targeting very tiny quantities at specific muscles can cause a slackening of the skin and a reduction in visible wrinkles.

How does it do it?

Botulinum toxin blocks the action of a neurotransmitter (acetylcholine) at specific junctions between nerves and muscles (the neuromuscular junction).  The toxin gets inside the body of the nerve cell using one of it's 2 component protein chains.  Once inside the cell, the second chain (an enzyme) actively destroys the machinery that packages the neurotransmitter.  Without the packaging, the neurotransmitter cannot be used and nerve impulses cannot pass between nerve cells.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02/03/2011 20:44:25 »
What does it do?

As suggested by other posters, Botox is used to paralyse muscles to hide wrinkles.

Botox is also used to treat people with hyperhydrosis : [i.e. who sweat like a glass-blowers arse].
« Last Edit: 02/03/2011 20:47:49 by RD »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03/03/2011 12:24:03 »
I think the idea is to paralyse certain muscles so that they relax and stop deforming the skin into wrinkles - as such, the skin looks smoother and apparently younger.

Of course, it has the side effect of severely limited facial expressions, making a person seem emotionless - I'm not sure how attractive that is, personally.  Still, it's probably an improvement on the "permanently surprised" expression post facelift.

Thanks Ben Surely just a hot iron will obtain the same effect of smooting out those wrinkles !

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03/03/2011 12:25:26 »

What is Botox?

It's a preparation based on the neurotoxic protein produced by the anaerobic rod shaped bacteria Clostridium botulinum.  Botulinum toxin is widely considered the most toxic substance known due to the extremely low doses needed for the toxin to be fatal (less than 1ug is fatal by IV, IM or inhalation).

It was originally known as "sausage poison" as the bacteria were often found growing in old, and badly kept, meat.  It even gained it's name from this; "botulus" is Latin for sausage!
It is often considered a potential biological warfare agent, although it is unstable in air, but it has been reported to be used on at least 3 occasions.

What does it do?

As suggested by other posters, Botox is used to paralyse muscles to hide wrinkles.  The toxin causes a flaccid paralysis which causes the muscles to relax (as opposed to a spastic paralysis which causes them to contract).  Targeting very tiny quantities at specific muscles can cause a slackening of the skin and a reduction in visible wrinkles.

How does it do it?

Botulinum toxin blocks the action of a neurotransmitter (acetylcholine) at specific junctions between nerves and muscles (the neuromuscular junction).  The toxin gets inside the body of the nerve cell using one of it's 2 component protein chains.  Once inside the cell, the second chain (an enzyme) actively destroys the machinery that packages the neurotransmitter.  Without the packaging, the neurotransmitter cannot be used and nerve impulses cannot pass between nerve cells.

Super info. Thank ewe very much lab monkey...and welcome to the forum !

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03/03/2011 12:26:57 »
What does it do?

As suggested by other posters, Botox is used to paralyse muscles to hide wrinkles.

Botox is also used to treat people with hyperhydrosis : [i.e. who sweat like a glass-blowers arse].

oooh !...interesting stuff !..thanks RD...I'm so glad I stopped glass blowing !  ;)

Offline lab monkey

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03/03/2011 14:48:40 »
Botox is also used to treat people with newbielink:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperhydrosis#Medications [nonactive] : [i.e. who sweat like a glass-blowers arse].

I'm fairly sure I saw a study that suggested sufferers of hyperhydrosis were more likely to become glass blowers...  ;)
« Last Edit: 03/03/2011 14:50:16 by lab monkey »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #11 on: 03/03/2011 14:48:40 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums