The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why would mole hills appear like this?  (Read 2079 times)

Adam Beaumont

Why would mole hills appear like this?
« on: 03/03/2011 04:30:07 »
Adam Beaumont  asked the Naked Scientists:

Chris,

Whilst walking this morning I took a footpath accross a field which is used for livestock grazing. There is a well worn path (though still grass rather than mud/soil) cutting diagonally accross the field. Two thirds along this path is a dip (not even close to being a ditch, but noticable nonetheless) which transects the field at a right angle.

Along the path, precisely and never to either side, was a chain of mole hillls never more than 1 foot apart, often adjoining. Once the path reaches the dip the mole hills stop. To the left, about 6ft along the dip the molehills restart and are similarly frequent until they reach the hedgerow. From the point of this left-hand turn the mole hills do not continue along the foot path.

This seems to me to be a very precise pattern, presumably with some intent on the part of the mole.

Can you offer any explanation.

Many thanks,
Adam.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 03/03/2011 04:30:07 by _system »

Offline Jolly- Joliver

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 29/03/2011 17:32:01 »
Adam Beaumont  asked the Naked Scientists:

Chris,

Whilst walking this morning I took a footpath accross a field which is used for livestock grazing. There is a well worn path (though still grass rather than mud/soil) cutting diagonally accross the field. Two thirds along this path is a dip (not even close to being a ditch, but noticable nonetheless) which transects the field at a right angle.

Along the path, precisely and never to either side, was a chain of mole hillls never more than 1 foot apart, often adjoining. Once the path reaches the dip the mole hills stop. To the left, about 6ft along the dip the molehills restart and are similarly frequent until they reach the hedgerow. From the point of this left-hand turn the mole hills do not continue along the foot path.

This seems to me to be a very precise pattern, presumably with some intent on the part of the mole.

Can you offer any explanation.

Many thanks,
Adam.

What do you think?

Either the moles are organising for something big.

Or they just removed an old fence

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #1 on: 29/03/2011 17:32:01 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums