The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How Can I Be Sure I've Deleted All My Data ?  (Read 11030 times)

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
How Can I Be Sure I've Deleted All My Data ?
« Reply #25 on: 05/03/2011 21:11:04 »
Whatever tickles your fancy I guess.
Tell me RD, what were you looking for when you found that?

Applying an angle grinder to the nether regions is actually old hat as performance art, so there are many examples on Youtube, e.g. ...

[Don’t try this at home, unless you’re wearing a chastity belt and have lost the key ]
« Last Edit: 05/03/2011 21:22:58 by RD »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 06/03/2011 16:12:00 »
I've read tests where they stated that you could recover data over written seven times. The military have one way to treat old HD as I know and that is Neils hammer. That said you can use electromagnets to wipe data, but they have to be strong. Take a look here but they seem to fall back on a hammer too. "A force field of 10.000 Gauss or one Tesla is necessary to erase the drive." But if you're looking for the opposite, and you should, it's all to easy to have your HD lose info by playing with different OS, and other crashes, then I would recommend 'Ontrack "easyrecovery profesional 6.21" it works as good as anything outside the professional data recovery business you ever will find.

I've found it very useful at occasions. Maybe there are something better out there but I doubt it, I looked extensively before choosing that one.

Simply erasing all the data on your hard drive and formatting it is not enough security. using the delete key on your keyboard in Windows only removes the shortcuts to the files. Deleted files will still reside on the hard drive making them very easy to recover. Formatting your hard drive better than simply erasing the files. Formatting a disk does not erase the data on the disk, only the address tables. If you have decided a disk format is a good choice, do a full format rather than a quick format. Then you can use disk wiping which process will overwrite your entire hard drive with new data, several times. A simple way of doing it manually is to use a Linux OS then reformat your Hard drive into some different layouts, like DOS then NT then some Linux and use 'full/slow format' all three times, with error checking, which will force the software to write a 'one' to all 'bits' on your Hard drive, to then lift it up again to see if it can read it. Do it with three different OS tables and it should be quite difficult to recover. And it's as fast as anything else on the market I guess.

Here is some wiping software if you just want to wipe certain files. Wiping I would expect Darik's Boot and Nuke and Sysinternals to be good at cleaning out your HD, but, the best is your hammer/shredder :)

Thank You also yor_on for your very insightful knowledge and software links.

I could attempt all this but I would need to put my hard drives back together now...as well as the laptop .

The information you have given though is not wasted and thoroughly appreciated !

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 06/03/2011 19:35:57 »
If you want to erase the data from a disk platter without actually destroying it, I'd suggest sticking it in the oven on high for half an hour, then, while it is still hot, subject it to a few hundred g's acceleration by whacking it with a mallet a few times.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 06/03/2011 19:38:38 »
If you want to erase the data from a disk platter without actually destroying it, I'd suggest sticking it in the oven on high for half an hour, then, while it is still hot, subject it to a few hundred g's acceleration by whacking it with a mallet a few times.

That's what I do to wifeys apple pie anyway !

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 06/03/2011 20:07:59 »

If your oven goes up to gas mark 36* you won't need to whack it ...

A magnet will lose its magnetism if heated above the Curie temperature.
The curie temperature of Iron is 770 o C
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curie_temperature

[* A domestic oven only goes up to about 250 oC]
« Last Edit: 07/03/2011 02:30:39 by RD »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 06/03/2011 23:32:20 »
You might just yank your hard drive and keep it as a backup.

I have a degausser...  Have to take it on faith that it actually wiped the hdds...  But, the drives were unreadable, and likely destroyed so they couldn't be easily reformatted.  Then a sledge does the rest  :)

Any wipedisk program has to boot from floppy/CD.
Actually...  I think the one I used to use was called "WipeDisk".  Put it in "secure mode", and it would chug for about a day or so.  I'm not positive of the exact version I used to have, but it seemed to be effective.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 07/03/2011 05:20:37 »
BTW, rather than wreck your old drives, it's a lot more fun to take them apart. The engineering and manufacturing processes that go into HDs are truly amazing.

I like to recover the magnets from the voicecoil mechanism (that's the bit that makes the heads move from track to track). Watch you fingers though. These are extremely powerful magnets. You may think they are welded to the assembly, but it's only magnetic attraction that is holding them in place.

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 07/03/2011 16:19:49 »
Haha, bloody disaster waiting to happen

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 07/03/2011 19:24:15 »
You might just yank your hard drive and keep it as a backup.

I have a degausser...  Have to take it on faith that it actually wiped the hdds...  But, the drives were unreadable, and likely destroyed so they couldn't be easily reformatted.  Then a sledge does the rest  :)

Any wipedisk program has to boot from floppy/CD.
Actually...  I think the one I used to use was called "WipeDisk".  Put it in "secure mode", and it would chug for about a day or so.  I'm not positive of the exact version I used to have, but it seemed to be effective.

Great Information..thank you very much CliffordK

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 07/03/2011 19:32:45 »
BTW, rather than wreck your old drives, it's a lot more fun to take them apart. The engineering and manufacturing processes that go into HDs are truly amazing.

I like to recover the magnets from the voicecoil mechanism (that's the bit that makes the heads move from track to track). Watch you fingers though. These are extremely powerful magnets. You may think they are welded to the assembly, but it's only magnetic attraction that is holding them in place.

Do you know what this is chum ? http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=37754.msg346722#msg346722

Offline omniphile

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 07/03/2011 20:29:08 »
Fact is, it's such an ancient laptop that I was going to donate it to my kids school but it runs so slowly that there really is no use for it ...so...my final idea was to scrap it.....so...perhaps using the DBAN is best for me....I truly can not see anybody getting any use from it........

I was in the same position about 12 months ago (it may have even been the same model laptop - a Dell Inspiron 1100). Then one rainy weekend, the 2 kids and I sat down with a set of jeweller's screwdrivers and we dissected it with me pointing out and identifying the various parts of its innards.

They had a great time being permitted to disassemble something (for a change) and really learnt quite a lot from the experience. They also found how useful their magnfying glasses were for studying itsy-bitsy things.

The bonus, of course, is that no terrestial being can possibly repair or recover anything my kids have touched!

Cheers

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #35 on: 07/03/2011 20:29:08 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length