The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: A new theory of Martial Arts, or maybe eastern philosophy....  (Read 3116 times)

Offline Jolly- Joliver

• View Profile
I have been debating about wether or not I should post this but actually I think it's a positive idea overall.

As a teenager I studied Martial Arts, as a child watching films like American Ninja, Karate kid, no retreat no surrender, the turtles :-)

and went to a few different clubs and tried quiet a few styles at around the age of 11 I was thinking about starting a Martial Arts club, so I kinda had this idea from an earily age really which bit by bit has advanced over the years.

In my early twenties I studied J.K.D, which brought me to an initial idea about a club where each member studies a different system and then each week one of the members taught the class, in this way you each learn off each other.

On having a religious experience, I considered the implications of Martial Arts as a system in relation to a nonviolent out look on life, and felt that maybe it would be possible to develop a system where all you did was evade, trap, throw, hold, block yet never hit or sort to hurt, simply to resolve as softy as possible any psyical conflict.

So combining the things I learnt, and ideas I had, and embracing much of what I thought was Bruce Lees philosophy when I studied J.K.D felt that maybe it would be possible to combine all of the block, traps and throws from all the different systems much as JDK does but with this new attention to soft resolution.

To train avoidance, the opponent would have to throw punches, people studying this would still learn to punch and kick yet only for the benefits of training others to avoid them.

And that was where I was at, and then I watched this: Bruce Lee lost interview,

Part one:   

Part two:   
feature=related

Part three:
feature=related

And Bruce said a few things in this interview, Firstly that for him Martial Arts is ultimately to "honestly express yourself"

And secondly that he did not believe in any styles, as he saw them all as restrictive.

And thirdly about being a balanced person, controlled but not a robotic man, natural but not wild.

The first he speaks of learning to psyically express yourself in complete honesty, self discovery and psyical control which ofcourse relates to the third point.

and the second relates to being yourself not being limited by any system, and finding your own feet, and your way, it's your body as it were, which you have to learn to express, therefore no fixed system could really teach you that, as we all are very unique.

And really thinking on this now:

My idea of a martial arts club, and I ponder the use of the word martial today, but my idea is an extensional of all of these things.

A club where everyone learns a system, and when it is arranged they come to this new club and learn off others and teach the others themselves, and each session a different member takes the class, learning to honestly express yourself, teaching others offers a definite relation to that, of course this new club also is about adapting systems to be as soft and harmless as possible and would need someone with a keen understanding of adaptation.

To honestly express yourself you have to first learn to know yourself and your body.

You could argue that the idea is a bit rough around the edges. Yet basically this is my idea for a new type of "martial" Arts system.

The way of the .......? I don't know I'll ponder a name for it.   

« Last Edit: 03/03/2011 15:32:15 by Wiybit »

Offline Jolly- Joliver

• View Profile
A new theory of Martial Arts, or maybe eastern philosophy....
« Reply #1 on: 23/03/2011 23:03:12 »
That bruce Lee interview

feature=channel_video_title

Offline Jolly- Joliver

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03/04/2011 00:18:23 »
The way of fluidity...

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03/04/2011 03:17:33 »
No the way of fluidity is Aikido me man. Take a look at some old movies with the founder Morihei Ueshiba. It's no fakes, and he's constantly utilizing the opponenets 'force' and just as much of his own that he needs. I can tell you that what you see in those movies is what Jigoro Kano once said was his purpose with Judo. In Japan they have this ideal of the 'perfect warrior'. The samurai's sword as not just a tool, but an idea, a ideal for 'seeing yourself'. Morihei Ueshiba comes very close to that ideal I think. If you look at him you will see two or maybe three principles combined. Earth which is the way he is constantly unflappable, at times unmoveable like a rock you come upon. The there is water which is the way he just flows int your motion using it, and lastly you have wind which is the way he's not 'there' when someone attacks. Fire too I guess, but as he's so fluid and economical in his movements that's a difficult aspect to catch, he's doing everything right. Take a good look at his techniques at the end when he definitely act as 'Earth'. There are more movies up there with him. That's a guy I really would have liked training with. Muscles and brawl is cool, and may be useful at times, but we all get old, don't we :)

As for the modern type of full contact fighting I don't know. It lacks in spirit.

Morihei Ueshiba.

Offline Jolly- Joliver

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04/04/2011 23:26:14 »
No the way of fluidity is Aikido me man.

Not at all, I took it from Bruce, How do you define a Fluid?

Take a look at some old movies with the founder Morihei Ueshiba. It's no fakes, and he's constantly utilizing the opponenets 'force' and just as much of his own that he needs. I can tell you that what you see in those movies is what Jigoro Kano once said was his purpose with Judo. In Japan they have this ideal of the 'perfect warrior'. The samurai's sword as not just a tool, but an idea, a ideal for 'seeing yourself'. Morihei Ueshiba comes very close to that ideal I think. If you look at him you will see two or maybe three principles combined. Earth which is the way he is constantly unflappable, at times unmoveable like a rock you come upon. The there is water which is the way he just flows int your motion using it, and lastly you have wind which is the way he's not 'there' when someone attacks. Fire too I guess, but as he's so fluid and economical in his movements that's a difficult aspect to catch, he's doing everything right. Take a good look at his techniques at the end when he definitely act as 'Earth'. There are more movies up there with him. That's a guy I really would have liked training with. Muscles and brawl is cool, and may be useful at times, but we all get old, don't we :)

As for the modern type of full contact fighting I don't know. It lacks in spirit.

Morihei Ueshiba.

Very beautiful. I studied it breifly many of the Katas we learnt in Judo related to Aikido.

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30/04/2011 20:37:27 »
Well, from a 'martial arts' standpoint I would look at 'soft' techniques. And those using the opponent instead of your own strength. And there some springs to mind, Aikido and Tai Chi for example. Most 'arts' have proponents incorporating one or the other, but on a whole those two fits my idea of it better. You can hit a nail several ways I guess :)

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 30/04/2011 20:37:27 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length