The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: i have white spots on my gums and they hurt  (Read 16760 times)

Offline annai

• First timers
    • View Profile
i have white spots on my gums and they hurt
« on: 12/03/2006 16:41:16 »
this week i used teeh whiteners and about after the third time my gums started to hurt. and later on i noticed little spots in differen't spots and any time anything touches them they hurt reallly bad.

i can't  go see a doctor because, i don't have dental insurance

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
Re: i have white spots on my gums and they hurt
« Reply #1 on: 14/03/2006 00:42:21 »

A lot of whiteners have hydrogen peroxide in them if you over use them or apply them longer then recommended it can result in this sort of damage.

You can also have Mouth ulcers, which if applied hydrogen peroxide to them would most likely turn white. they  also called canker sores, aphthous stomata and recurrent aphthous stomatitis, mostly occur on the inner cheek, inner lip, tongue, soft palate, floor of the mouth, and sometimes the throat. They are usually about 3-5mm in diameter - though sometimes significantly larger, and often appear 2 or 3 at a time - though sometimes there can be 10-20 or more.

The worst thing about mouth ulcers is the pain that they cause, which is constant, excruciating and made worse by eating, drinking and talking. The picture of the homunculus that you may recall from schooldays shows how very sensitive the mouth and tongue are compared to most other parts of the body - which explains the amount of discomfort caused by something so small.
No specific single cause has yet been isolated, though it seems they are not caused by infectious agents such as viruses or bacteria and are therefore not contagious.
The current popular theory is that they are linked to the auto-immune system and an allergic reaction, in that certain triggers (that may be different from one person to the next) cause the mucosal lining (protective layer on the cheeks, gums, tongue, throat etc.) to become compromised, such that it is attacked by one's own saliva, or unfriendly bacteria within it.

What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Re: i have white spots on my gums and they hurt
« Reply #1 on: 14/03/2006 00:42:21 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums