The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Just read "Evolution Through the Looking Glass", I do not agree...  (Read 1610 times)

Offline Mangalmurti

• First timers
    • View Profile
the author asserts that there would be paradigm shift, and that natural selection would be displaced as cause of evolution.

my understanding, it is the ability to adapt to the changes that occcur from the happy accidents, that then allows species to adapt, and if they have the ability to adapt, or they have a trait that confers an advantage when an "accident" occurs, they are selected rather than those organisms that do not, naturally!   hence, natural selection still is the actual process that occurs

Offline Jolly- Joliver

• View Profile
the author asserts that there would be paradigm shift, and that natural selection would be displaced as cause of evolution.

my understanding, it is the ability to adapt to the changes that occcur from the happy accidents, that then allows species to adapt, and if they have the ability to adapt, or they have a trait that confers an advantage when an "accident" occurs, they are selected rather than those organisms that do not, naturally!   hence, natural selection still is the actual process that occurs

Paradigm shifts are not really a thing I think a Mammel or Lizard are really going to be effected by.

I think the point relates far more to human evolution and not other life, ofcourse a human paradigm shift could effect other life.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums