The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: New water power station idea.  (Read 1625 times)

Offline Heikki Rinnemaa

• MoHei. :)
    • View Profile
    • My website.
New water power station idea.
« on: 12/03/2011 05:24:03 »
MoHei, :)

I have thinking few years that our's water-power-station systems.

We have made all so that we must stop river-flowing,,and that cause biggest enviroment problems, water-rounding, fish-life systems, etc.

If we make todays technology new kind of hmm, paddlewheel-generator we can then break down barriers ot todays power-station so that water can flow more natural and then fish can go and also everything else, we can make rivers to back to natural condition.

Benefits, paddlewheel-station / todays barrier-station  (barrier,,pato in finnish)
- Can install easy to river
- Can put side by side more,,x
- one station efficiency is not so big but x*one is much more
- water can flow free,,more naturall
-- cause river life,,fish amount is much bigger,,etc.

Image of that my idea,,

Offline SeanB

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 12/03/2011 13:41:56 »
Multiple small stations that withdraw energy, thus multiple losses in conversion, as well as multiple machinery. Add to that the small thing that most rivers are not constant in flow, but have a period in which flow is low, as well as a flood time. The dam serves as a reservoir to keep a lot of the flood water for use in times when the flow is low, as well as providing a high pressure to get much better conversion efficiency out of the generation system by having losses being a smaller part of the power input.

Offline Heikki Rinnemaa

• View Profile
    • My website.
« Reply #2 on: 14/03/2011 18:27:58 »

I draw cone-generator example to matter-flowing system,,works air and water.

Offline Heikki Rinnemaa

• View Profile
    • My website.
« Reply #3 on: 14/03/2011 18:37:58 »
Multiple small stations that withdraw energy, thus multiple losses in conversion, as well as multiple machinery. Add to that the small thing that most rivers are not constant in flow, but have a period in which flow is low, as well as a flood time. The dam serves as a reservoir to keep a lot of the flood water for use in times when the flow is low, as well as providing a high pressure to get much better conversion efficiency out of the generation system by having losses being a smaller part of the power input.

Sean,,,of cource i known that point,,water-store etc,,,

my message is that we can use river-flowing to all place where river is flowing, make work, not only near that store-point.

Also average flowing is existing all big rivers all time.

How many flowing-generator we can add one river,,example river which lengt is about 100km?

If we put flowing-generator example every 100m then 100km there is 1000 generator.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15/03/2011 17:34:51 »
I've wondered about putting in subsurface turbines.  Essentially working on the same principle as a windmill.  It doesn't stop all the air, just generates power from the movement of some of the air.

Even behind a dam, there must be a lot of water flow.  Consider a dam that has a flow of over 200,000 cubic feet per second.  That water has to get to the dam somehow.

Another place to consider "flow" generators would be tide generators (which are now being built), as well as deep ocean channel flow.  I.E.  in places where dams might be impractical.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 15/03/2011 17:34:51 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length