The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What Uses Are There For Graphene ?  (Read 3414 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
What Uses Are There For Graphene ?
« on: 12/03/2011 11:45:57 »
Dearest Thin-ologists,

As s sheepy I of course luff to walk on very thin things. It's all I think about really ! Yep, nothing starts the day better for me than the joy I receive in knowing that I will walk on thin stuff.

Yesterday I walked on a piece of paper !!...the thinnest thing ever known !!....

BUT...check out Graphene !

Graphene is an atomic-scale honeycomb lattice made of carbon atoms....it's an atom thick thing !...which is nice !

...and here I am walking upon it !

Yours Truly Walking Upon A Sheet Of Graphene !

Nice eh ?...being delivered in 2-ply form next Tuesday to wipe my bot bot !

Now, it's very nice of the people in-charge-of-making-thin-stuff to come up with this new thing for me to walk on.....but...are there any other uses for Graphene ?.......Why make such a thin thing ?.....

Can it be used to keep an atom of cauliflower fresh ?

Ewe see, I don't know !...and I heard that this site is frequented by the type of peeps who might actually know !

Thanks in optimistic anticipation of a positive consequence to my quest for attenuated knowledge.

hugs and shmishes

mwah mwah mwah

Neil
Think Thin Think Thin
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline SeanB

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 12/03/2011 13:21:28 »
As it is a semiconductor, it can be used to develop new methods for manufacturing computer and other systems. It can be used to make really strong yet light materials, as well as new fabrics. It will probably be used to manufacture sensors for pressure, temperature and other physical measurements, as well as for chemical sensors.

Just a few off the top of the pile........

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12/03/2011 16:59:19 »
As it is a semiconductor, it can be used to develop new methods for manufacturing computer and other systems. It can be used to make really strong yet light materials, as well as new fabrics. It will probably be used to manufacture sensors for pressure, temperature and other physical measurements, as well as for chemical sensors.

Just a few off the top of the pile........

Thank ewe very much SeanB...

Gosh !!...ewe know stuff !

Do ewe think as a 1 atom thick lattice there could be practical use for it ?

Offline SeanB

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13/03/2011 17:26:54 »
Single atoms are coming closer and closer to being a usable item, current memory uses a few thousand atoms as storage, and the number shrinks every year.

Offline yor_on

• (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20/03/2011 21:23:22 »
Above everything else it leads electricity, it's as thin as we can make it, and cheap. We can use it to anything you can think of. How about your clothes becoming your new 'super computer' :) the thinner and closer together we can get it, the less 'energy' it will need. We might be able to layer it too, sandwich it sort of.

We need cheap, innovative materials that won't poison our environment too much. I think graphene might be one of them.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 20/03/2011 21:23:22 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums