The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is a natural electromagnetic process feasible?  (Read 1570 times)

Offline Dominus

• View Profile
    • The physical creation of Time and Space
Is a natural electromagnetic process feasible?
« on: 14/03/2011 20:03:28 »
I shall start my proposition by saying at once that a common way of thinking for all of us is to consider time and space in their aspect of «absolute quantities». Seen as physical quantities, time and space are almost always thought of: the first in terms of millions of years, and the second in terms of interstellar space. What I have in mind instead is the smallest «unit measure» of time and space; in the matter at hand: the «second of time» and the corresponding «distance of space» which is 300 million metres, roughly from here to the Moon. In dealing with these physical quantities, I am also giving for granted: radial distance for time and linear distance for space.
It is quite clear, from this early stage, that we must come away from the abstract philosophical concept of time and space and move mentally to the physical world where things are seen and touched, where things are tangible.
To pave the way, and in presenting my theorem, I shall recall to mind Minkowski’s idea of space-time and make an appeal to good old Pythagoras as Minkowski himself did. If I do it, we may want to draw something like this:
We must now imagine that at the intersection of the ordinate and the abscissa (origin) there exists a process something similar to what Aristotle had in mind when, in his book of physics, he wrote: «Time is therefore either a process or is somehow dependent upon a process; and since it is not the former, it must be the latter».
Let us now go a step further than Aristotle. Let us think of the process as being an electromagnetic process for the physical creation of time and space which we can easily identify, as I am now doing, with the existing electromagnetic spectrum. Here we are then. We have the vertex of the cone where a 1-metre wavelength houses a frequency of 300 million cycles per second (a lot of energy), and we have the directrix of the cone where a second later the wavelength becomes 300 million metres long and the frequency has come down to 1 cycle per second (the energy level is almost negligible). This would mean that the energy present at the origin (vertex) was spent in some way during the electromagnetic process for the lengthening of the wave. This natural process may be likewise interpreted as a process for the creation of time lengths and/or space lengths.
Looking now at the diagram, and in order to register in the mind a radial concept, we must think of figure 2 as a solid 1/8 of a sphere. Think fast, please. If time and space are made by a process and are a product of nature, they have to be made in small ascending bits (there is no other choice). Their unit measure would therefore be very tiny at the beginning (origin) and it would reach the full length (expansion in time and extension in space) at the end (1 second = 300 million metres), hence a gradation scale such as the above spectrum to satisfy our two main requirements:
(a) the building up of a time and/or space unit measure along the ascending scale; that is, the wavelength, and
(b) the required energy decrease along the ascending scale, energy needed for the build-up of the wavelength.
To be noted that, I am proposing the existence of a physical process in antithesis to the mental abstraction used to describe «time» and «space». What has put my mind in motion was the simple realization that Science, for a long time now, was and still is unable to say what is the intrinsic nature and/or physical make-up, if any, of both time and space.
Back to good old Pythagoras. If, for argument sake, we are standing still, as we actually are, on the intersection point of the ordinate/abscissa, then, we would experience only the temporal part of the process (imagine an expanding sinusoid going upwards along the ordinate), that is: we would get one second old for each second of the clock.
If, as a second option, we move along the abscissa be it just walking, by car or by the fastest possible way on this planet; we would experience as well a very small part, very tiny indeed, of the spatial process and we get older slightly less; that is, our unit measure of time has become shorter with respect to someone standing still. The faster we go, the shorter will be the unit length of time.
The third option is that in which we move at the velocity of the process, that is: if we were, hypothetically speaking, riding a ray of light, we would experience only the spatial process. We would cover, in this case, 300 million metres of space for each second of the clock, without experiencing time and therefore without getting older. This is exactly what happens to a ray of light which is said to be light-like, or null-separated.
To conclude, if this is not it where is the flaw? If something doesn’t fit in, put in your side comment please.

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 15/03/2011 12:13:23 »
Dominus - You start by affirming that "Seen as physical quantities, time and space are almost always thought of..." well no, they are not.  you say "we have the vertex of a cone" - you need to explain why you invoke this idea.  You say "... have to be made in small ascending bits (there is no other choice)" - there is no basis in your argument for this claim etc.

It is possible the argument is consistent in your mind - but you have failed to make any form of logical progression from agreed axiom to conclusion.  It is also a bit disconcerting to see a page of text to wade through - you can easily shorten your ideas by removing chatty references that do not really add to the piece.  It is impossible to really identify flaws because the argument is incomplete.  I hope you are able to put a better version up in the future.  Regards

Offline Dominus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15/03/2011 20:33:44 »
Dominus - You start by affirming that "Seen as physical quantities, time and space are almost always thought of..." well no, they are not. 
Hello Imatfaal - Yes, I see your point. Although, I must say that even men of science prefer time and space in their “big” size. Not many out there thinking of the inner structure of space or trying to give to time a physical identity.
you say "we have the vertex of a cone" - you need to explain why you invoke this idea. 
I did say “Let us think of the process as being an electromagnetic process for the physical creation of time and space which we can easily identify, as I am now doing, with the existing electromagnetic spectrum”.
You say "... have to be made in small ascending bits (there is no other choice)" - there is no basis in your argument for this claim etc.
Well, I was talking of a process first through Aristotle writing and then going one step further myself. If we accept a process, by a definition of English dictionaries, as being <<a gradual phenomenon marked by natural changes>> the changes must be ascending seeing that we are talking of the physical creation of something. In the matter at hand the creation of the wavelength expanding in time and extending in space.
It is possible the argument is consistent in your mind - but you have failed to make any form of logical progression from agreed axiom to conclusion.  It is also a bit disconcerting to see a page of text to wade through - you can easily shorten your ideas by removing chatty references that do not really add to the piece.  It is impossible to really identify flaws because the argument is incomplete.  I hope you are able to put a better version up in the future.  Regards
I read the topic a couple of times and thought about it. Yes, I agree, it is not well presented, I should have done better. As for my ornaments, it’s just my writing style, my apologies.

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16/03/2011 16:55:25 »
Dominus - You start by affirming that "Seen as physical quantities, time and space are almost always thought of..." well no, they are not. 
Hello Imatfaal - Yes, I see your point. Although, I must say that even men of science prefer time and space in their “big” size. Not many out there thinking of the inner structure of space or trying to give to time a physical identity.
Quite a fair proportion of modern research is the connection between the very large and the very small.
you say "we have the vertex of a cone" - you need to explain why you invoke this idea. 
I did say “Let us think of the process as being an electromagnetic process for the physical creation of time and space which we can easily identify, as I am now doing, with the existing electromagnetic spectrum”.
Yes - but why are you postulating a cone of a physical nature that constrains EMR, especially without talking about structure and boundary conditions
You say "... have to be made in small ascending bits (there is no other choice)" - there is no basis in your argument for this claim etc.
Well, I was talking of a process first through Aristotle writing and then going one step further myself. If we accept a process, by a definition of English dictionaries, as being <<a gradual phenomenon marked by natural changes>> the changes must be ascending seeing that we are talking of the physical creation of something. In the matter at hand the creation of the wavelength expanding in time and extending in space.
Perhaps - but there is no need for that to be a discrete quantised ascension ie in "bits" - why not continuous?
I read the topic a couple of times and thought about it. Yes, I agree, it is not well presented, I should have done better. As for my ornaments, it’s just my writing style, my apologies.
It can come over as a little condescending and tends to distract in my mind.  Regards

Offline Dominus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16/03/2011 19:22:04 »
Hello imatfall,
We argue holding meanwhile our own fort. As for the cone-like representation, think of me battling with the electromagnetic spectrum in the early fifties of last century. No, I don’t make compliments unless are due and are felt; I am too old to do it any other way.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 16/03/2011 19:22:04 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length