The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why can't I access certain website  (Read 11781 times)

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Why can't I access certain website
« Reply #25 on: 15/03/2006 18:43:42 »
Hi George - This is all so confusing to me.  I have smiley central, cursor mania and pop swatter on one of my toolbars.  I believe they were downloaded by my kids.  I have been to the iwon website.  I'm having some problems with sluggishness.  Some programs seem to be running slower, and logging off is a real pain.  It takes about 7 minutes.

From what you posted, it sounds like I could potentially have some serious problems going on here.  Well, it's gone beyond feeling stupid - I feel down right ignorant.

Carolyn

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #26 on: 15/03/2006 20:36:25 »
carolyn if your pc is running slow and is taking 7 minutes (thats a life time )to log off and you havnt got a virus then your best option is to reload your pc.  My pc gets like that occasionally due to my kids filling it up with crap.

Did you get a instalation disc with your pc which automatically reformats and copys all the programs which came with your pc back on to your hard drive. if you did then its easy just save your passwords and all that needs saving to a spare cdrom . place  the instalation disk in the cd drive and restart your pc. i reload my pc every six months.

Michael
« Last Edit: 15/03/2006 20:37:26 by ukmicky »

another_someone

« Reply #27 on: 15/03/2006 22:01:37 »
Carolyn,

Sorry for throwing you in at the deep end.

Michael's suggestion of reformatting the entire hard disk and reloading everything from scratch is certainly one solutions, but it may be a complex one if you have a lot of software that you need to reload onto your system, and a lot of things to reconfigure.  On the other hand, chasing down all the bits and pieces to need to do to properly remove all the garbage that might have accumulated over the years (including the FunWebProducts stuff) can also be time consuming, and at least a reinstallation sets you back to a guaranteed known point.  If you want to take that route, that has to be up to you (although you must make sure you back up everything that you might want to hold on to once the disk is reformatted, it is lost).

FunWebProducts themselves have a site that explains how to remove their product.  This is at <http://www.funwebproducts.com/uninstall.html>.

From what I can see, you are using Windows XP.  One question I would ask (with regard to future security) is what authority do you usually log on with, and allow your children to log on with.  The majority of people still set up their default log on as having administrator authority this means they can do everything they might conceivably want to do from the one single log on, but it also makes it very easy for malicious programs to change parts of the system you don't want them to be changing.  If you are set up like this, it would be better for you to set up users (both for yourself, and especially for your children) with restricted authority, and to use those on a day to day basis (that way, if any software tries to install itself in the background, and wants to alter core parts of the operating system, it will be blocked by the security).  You would still need a user set up with administrator authority, but you would only use that logon account when you know you really do want to make a change to the operating system, or do something a little bit more risky than your everyday work.

With regard to the toolbars from FunWebProducts, I generally take a very cautious view of any of these downloadable toolebars, or other ways of adding fancy bits to the browser, since they all require some sort of hack to the browser, so unless I really am confident that I know what the product is and is not going to effect, I generally stay away from them (not just FubWebProducts, but anyone's go-faster stripes for my browser).

George
« Last Edit: 15/03/2006 22:07:36 by another_someone »

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 16/03/2006 05:24:02 »
quote:
Originally posted by ukmicky

carolyn if your pc is running slow and is taking 7 minutes (thats a life time )to log off and you havnt got a virus then your best option is to reload your pc.  My pc gets like that occasionally due to my kids filling it up with crap.

Did you get a instalation disc with your pc which automatically reformats and copys all the programs which came with your pc back on to your hard drive. if you did then its easy just save your passwords and all that needs saving to a spare cdrom . place  the instalation disk in the cd drive and restart your pc. i reload my pc every six months.

Michael

I'm not 100% sure I don't have a virus.  My daughters friend told me today that she used pc about 1.5 weeks ago and when she logged on, a Norton box opened that said I had a virus, she clicked ok.  I don't know how accurate this is, she's a bit of a ding bat.  So tomorrow I will try to figure out how to check for viruses.  Otherwise I guess I'll have to reload as you suggested.  Gosh, I hope I can find that blasted installation disk.  I'm not the most organized person.  I'll be sure to save everything before hand.

Hi George - don't worry about the deep end.  I swim pretty well.  Worst case, I'll have to bite the bullet and pay someone to come out and fix problem.  But, I am trying to learn the fine art of frugality(if that's not a word, it is now), so I will exhaust every available avenue.

I only have one account set up now, but I will definately follow your advice on this.  

Thank you both for helping me so much.  I am getting quite the education.

Carolyn

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #28 on: 16/03/2006 05:24:02 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums