The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why is it that ice-creams don't have a smell associated with them ?  (Read 3468 times)

Offline BarryE

• First timers
    • View Profile
I'v tried this on a number of forms of 'ice-cream' (Sorbet etc). They may have a different taste but no smell.  I always thought that if you blocked your nose you'd have no sense of smell and hence no taste but this seems to work exactly the opposite.....

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
The chemicals that would normally cause the olfactory sensors to fire off are liquid or solid (or trapped by solid matrix of frozen water/milk) at low temperatures (ie at the temp of the ice cream) and cannot reach the nasal passages.  As you eat the ice cream it is warmed to blood temperature.  At body temperature the chemicals are more likely to be free floating and can (helped by air movement in breathing) get to the olfactory sensors in the nose. Thus once the ice cream is melted in your mouth you can taste/small it.  you could help confirm this by trying to smell melted ice cream - I would be willing to bet it smells a great deal more than when frozen.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums