The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How Does Alcohol Affect The Fetus ?  (Read 2379 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
How Does Alcohol Affect The Fetus ?
« on: 22/03/2011 11:55:33 »
I was listening to Radio 4 this morning and there was an article/chit chat/conversation regarding the nature of alcohol effects on the fetus...

...Preggy women are advised to not really have no more than a couple of units per week ! One unit being a small glass of wine...or half a pint of beer or one small measure of spirit.

Babies born to ladies with a history of high alcohol drinking usually are lighter, smaller and suffer from severe learning difficulties. In some cases there are even facial conditions/features, though they did not say what kind of conditions/features these are.

It was a very interesting article but one thing they missed out was ' what exactly does the alcohol do to the unborn fetus ? '...they talked about the consequences but did not explain why.

So, what exactly are the detrimental effects associated with alcohol intake, upon the fetus ?...what is biologically happening ?

Thanks

Neil

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 26/03/2011 06:12:27 »
I have seen many children with these problems and was under the impression that it kind of stopped or hindered the brain development...as far as birth weight I am not are what happens...but I have seen the same with alcoholic their bodies especially lower
extremities become gangly looking emaciated lacking muscle tone etc. I wonder if it breaks down muscle because of its ability to rob the body of the proper nutritional needs..through the process of elimination through urine...etc.  Now that's my guess and I am no expert but perhaps someone with some medical facts will come confirm or correct my information....I too would like to know more.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26/03/2011 10:49:53 »
Thanks Karen for your interest and thanks RD for the link.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 26/03/2011 10:49:53 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums