The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Donating Sperm?  (Read 11478 times)

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Donating Sperm?
« Reply #25 on: 19/03/2006 00:01:35 »
quote:
Originally posted by gary_lankford
[
quote:
who said she needed a man to get......;)

I didn't say "she" needed a man to get...  I said "she" shouldn't be able to get pregnant without getting...

Well, I stand corrected.

Neil - you are absolutely correct, I am a girly and I should remember my place.  It's up on a pedestal, right where my hubby put me.  I think I'll go there now and let him entertain me.[:X]

Carolyn

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #26 on: 19/03/2006 00:09:37 »
Sometimes i feel so sorry for you ladies having to put up with us men, the world would be a much better place if we could just get rid of them all so it just left me. :)

Michael

Offline gary_lankford

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 19/03/2006 01:01:17 »
quote:
ukmicky-Posted - 19 Mar 2006 :  00:09:37  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit ukmicky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sometimes i feel so sorry for you ladies having to put up with us men, the world would be a much better place if we could just get rid of them all so it just left me.

Michael

Yes, that might solve the problem, as a man would again be in great demand.  Ever see the movie "A Boy and His Dog"? :)

Moving back toward the question of the original post, I wonder if there have been any successful paternity suits against sperm donors?  If a man knew that he might be liable for support if he became a father by sperm donation that might slow him down. No, no, wait, that doesn't seem to stop anybody, does it?

Gary Lankford
« Last Edit: 19/03/2006 01:08:48 by gary_lankford »

another_someone

« Reply #28 on: 19/03/2006 02:20:20 »
quote:
Originally posted by gary_lankford

Moving back toward the question of the original post, I wonder if there have been any successful paternity suits against sperm donors?  If a man knew that he might be liable for support if he became a father by sperm donation that might slow him down. No, no, wait, that doesn't seem to stop anybody, does it?

Until recently, donor anonymity made this very unlikely in the UK, but with the change in law that allows a child born through sperm donation the right to trace his biological father, the possibility does now theoretically exist for someone to test the law with regard to paternal responsibility of sperm donors – although I doubt that the law would support such a suite in the foreseeable future.

More plausible would be is a young man donated sperm, and later in life, the donor having become someone famous, his biological child might seek to gain publicity out of his association with his now famous father.  Could we see the tabloid press going to town over some sob story about a minister refusing to help his natural child?

An area where I think the risks pertaining child support claims is greater is the few cases we have had where women have had IVF, and the embryo frozen while they undergo cancer treatment, with the intent that the embryo then be re-implanted after the treatment is complete.  In the meanwhile the relationship with the spouse breaks down, and the man no longer wishes to allow his wife to become impregnated with the embryo, and thus encumbering him with liability for the child's maintenance.

George

another_someone

« Reply #29 on: 19/03/2006 02:22:51 »
quote:
Originally posted by ukmicky

quote:
Why?
My child my responsibility. Any child that was conceived using my sperm is half me, i would be the biological father and i couldn't go through life knowing i have children that i don't know and therefore can't care for for.

Your son is no more or less you than your brother.

George

another_someone

« Reply #30 on: 19/03/2006 02:37:25 »
quote:
Originally posted by neilep

Whilst I have the greatest respect for you Michael.. I totally disagree. How can you attribute morals to a natural process ?  Are you edging on intelligent design ?...Morals are all to do with humanities decisions to do the right thing, to be able to distinguish between good and bad. ....are you saying that morals were around before humans ?

I think this debate about what is natural or not is somewhat futile – it implies there is anything that humans do that is unnatural.

Humans are no more of less a part of nature, and a consequence of nature, as a snail.  Anything that humans do is just as natural as anything snails do.  This is true even where snails and humans behave differently, each still follows their own nature, and each is still behaving naturally.

All animals follow some sort of code of conduct.  For some simple animals, this is a very simple set of instinctive rules, but for more complicated animals, the rules are increasingly learned rules (although with an underlying instinctive layer that is required to bootstrap the process even for the most complex of animals).  We, as probably the most complex of the complex animals, gain far more of our behavioural rules from learning than from instinct, but that we have learnt it does not make it unnatural, but equally, that we have learnt it does mean there is inevitably greater variability in those rules than there would be if the rules were wholly instinctive.

George

another_someone

« Reply #31 on: 19/03/2006 02:59:36 »
quote:

As parents of children its our job  to make the decisions which will benefit our kids. Through evolution we have been given the ability to look into the future and to make decisions based on what we see around us, its partly what makes us human .Forward thinking is what makes us intelligent sapient beings  and is what separates us from every other life forms on earth .

Is it?

Some might argue it is a parents job to ensure their child grows up to be beneficial to the community, which may not always be the same as maximising the self interest of the child (although I accept that there is much overlap).

Clearly, different parents will have different views on this, as will non-parents; I am just suggesting that there can be multiple interpretations as to what is the job of a parent.

quote:

How can I put it its hard to put into words. Some men are happy to father a child and never see that child again. I couldn’t do that as that child is half me and I have a natural wanting desire to help with the upbringing of any child of mine.

There is the question whether the child is that which is that of your genes, or that which you have chosen to have a mutual parent/child relationship with.  The reverse side of the genetic argument in this is to ask what the relationship with adopted or step children should be?  To the recipient of donated sperm, the mother is the true mother, but the father in effect is a step father.

Clearly, one could argue that children should always only live with their natural parents (I believe you said you were from a catholic background, so I suspect you are very anti divorce, so in that respect the only context where you would allow for a legitimate existence of a stepfather is where the woman has been widowed, but nonetheless that situation does exist).

The first question is whether a husband who is himself infertile should be allowed to become a father through donated sperm?  The second question is whether the legal parents of that child should be allowed to bring up the child as if it was their own, without interference from the sperm donor?

I am not saying that you can but feel as you feel, and no amount of rational argument is going to change that, but merely asking how your arguments would address the above issues.

Ofcourse, it is perfectly legitimate for you to say, as we all sometimes do, that this is something that you understand (from a rational perspective) it is right to do, but don't feel that you could bring yourself to partake in the doing of it.

George

Offline Titanscape

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 24/03/2006 15:13:31 »
I may be old fashioned and see sex and reproduction as a matter of honour. As Christian here I see evolution as a hypothesis I do just for fellows like many of you in thenakedscientist.com.

Practically, donating sperm is a risk at worst of having a child into a paedophile's family.

I am possessive and would want to take a wife who is as well. I wouldn't want her to donate eggs...

I am not compelled personally to want to satisfy the longing of a woman with a barren husband. It's not me, not that I am an athlete or anything, just hypothetically.

But, if I was in WW2 Hungary and a dear patriot girl was raped by an invading Russian or four... I dream that I would give her my sex cells into the filth, which I do not want, for the sake of her possibley having my child instead of a Russian rapist for patriotic honour and sympathy.

Titanscape
« Last Edit: 24/03/2006 15:18:50 by Titanscape »

another_someone

« Reply #33 on: 24/03/2006 17:52:01 »
quote:
Originally posted by Titanscape

But, if I was in WW2 Hungary and a dear patriot girl was raped by an invading Russian or four... I dream that I would give her my sex cells into the filth, which I do not want, for the sake of her possibley having my child instead of a Russian rapist for patriotic honour and sympathy.

My mother did live through that period, although thankfully did not suffer that fate, but I understand she did have to make a rapid exit on one occasion for the risk to be averted (I understand the women in East Germany suffered immeasurably worse than the Hungarians).

My mother would have been 13 or 14 years old at the time.

Nonetheless, be that as it may, in the particular situation to describe, I rather suspect the woman would not in any way thank you for being the fifth rapist, whether patriot or not (no doubt many of the Russian soldiers could also have justified their actions with notions of patriotism).

George
« Last Edit: 24/03/2006 18:05:37 by another_someone »

Offline Titanscape

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 25/03/2006 13:41:16 »
My mistake in my post. I should wite, that I ask her if it is what she wants from me, and not otherwise.

Titanscape

Offline Titanscape

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 02/06/2006 10:03:00 »
Check this on the artificial insemination and sperm donation discussion.
http://news.sbs.com.au/insight/mmarchive.php#

"Making Babies" May 30th 2006. Video or transcript.

Titanscape

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #35 on: 02/06/2006 10:03:00 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums