The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How will the LHC identify the Higgs Boson?  (Read 2742 times)

Offline Novacaine

• View Profile
How will the LHC identify the Higgs Boson?
« on: 23/03/2011 19:47:55 »
First of all sorry about my english. There is something i cannot understand no matter how hard i try. Maybe its because I'm not a physicist XD. Anyway. I know that one of the main goals of cern physicists is finding the higgs boson. As far as I know the higgs boson is the partical (or the field) that gives its mass to matter. So, what I dont understand is how they are going to manage to make higgs boson show itself. What kind of environment they are trying to create to see this particle? Why would higgs boson appear? And when protons collide, what should happen so we can see it or prove its existence? 
« Last Edit: 23/03/2011 20:07:25 by chris »

Offline Novacaine

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 24/03/2011 14:06:28 »
Ok. 28 reads but still no answer. Was my question really stupid? I ll try to make myself clearer.

They are trying to create the same environment just after the big bang, right?. There will be tremendously powerful energy. But how is this energy going to help higgs boson to show itself? I just wanna understand the connection between this collusions, their effects and the higgs boson. Higgs boson will give mass to what after these collusions? Or why is it going to need to show itself? I'm reading the articles about LHC but still couldnt find any satisfying answer about that. Or maybe its just hard for me to understand as a person who did not study advanced physics. Just if anybody can understand what i mean, please try to explain like I m 12 years old. With simple examples and with simple words.       

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24/03/2011 14:16:15 »
Novacaine - the problem in trying to explain is that it is practically impossible to cover in simple terms without losing so much that the result is meaningless.  I had sat through perhaps hundreds of hours of lectures before reaching the point that the higg's was even discussed.  I still don't know nearly enough to provide a potted guide - and I am pretty sure that even heavyweight knowledge of physics coupled with a talent for teaching would struggle to provide a meaningful summary of standard model of particle physics that could be understood by a 12-y-o.  The question is very good - but maybe not easy to answer.

Offline assimilated

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24/03/2011 19:53:47 »
Maybe they cant identify it as it may not exist.

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24/03/2011 21:15:55 »
It's thought to be a boson, like a photon, or a field. The weird thing about it being a boson is how a boson can 'lend/define' invariant mass to what we call matter. In the case of a 'field' it is thought to interact with the energy bound in matter. Here is an, almost understandable, description of how they are searching for it:)

And here is The Higgs Boson according to Cern.
« Last Edit: 24/03/2011 21:19:40 by yor_on »

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25/03/2011 11:57:46 »
Great linx Yoron

Assimilated - it is always possible that it doesn't exist.  But we have a lot of work to do if it doesnt.  The likelihood is that it does exist and that we will eventually find evidence for it

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 25/03/2011 11:57:46 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length