The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can parallel universes interact?  (Read 2176 times)

Chris Solfjell

Can parallel universes interact?
« on: 26/03/2011 21:30:02 »
Chris Solfjell  asked the Naked Scientists:

I have no difficulty believing in parallel universes, but wonder how close these might be. Can they function as parallel realities and perhaps even interact with this universe through linear time? (ie merge and divide either constantly or occasionally)

Chris Sol, Bristol

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 26/03/2011 21:30:02 by _system »

Offline JMLCarter

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 27/03/2011 00:35:50 »
The many worlds theory is one of those gems with no observable predictions.
We are heavily into speculative theories, then. Fun.

The universe can be modelled as a state space. That is lets assume that we have a set of universe-states which includes every possible arrangement of particles/wave-functions/unknowns at every possible point in time. It's a big set. (Let me point out that I mean do "not at all small" in the worst possible way.)

The state we experience is a single universe-state, but as time moves on so we experience others.

If we accept that an event can lead to multiple outcomes, then after an event there are multiple "current" states (or universes). Having made that little leap, the "hop between universes" trick is nothing more than a state transition for want of better words "in a direction perpendicular to normal time".

Also seems possible but unlikely for multiple current states to converge to a single state. The unlikeness of this is what defines entropy, our currently understood arrow of time. If states do converge thus, time as we understand it is going backwards.

So, perhaps we are talking about manipulating the arrow of time, not just to go backwards (which we can't do), but sideways (or backwards and forwards again but different).

All seems much like science fiction, tbh.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #1 on: 27/03/2011 00:35:50 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums