The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: QotW - 11.04.03 - What is the most efficient way to heat water?  (Read 22423 times)

JK

None
« Reply #25 on: 03/08/2011 17:02:36 »
Most responses here have missed the point. The point is NOT whether heating in advance is economical, but whether switching on and off is economical. Lets assume there is some heat loss over a period of time. That would mean at some point the water would need to be reheated. Let's say I lived in Africa, where electricity and water were scarce and I only showered once a month. Surely it would be less expensive to turn on the geezer just before I had a shower, and as soon as the water was hot, I'd use it. Then leave it switched off for the rest of the month. Whereas keeping it on for the entire month, it would consume more electricity to keep the geezer on, so that any heat lost could be regained.

And do the geezers remain on, at a low temperature? Or do they turn off completely when the water is hot enough? If the later is the case, then turning it off yourself is the same thing. Except it would never turn itself on again when the temperature dropped, so you'd being saving power.

BTW, instant gas hot water systems have been around for decades. My Dad is using one that's at least 50 years old and still working perfectly well.

The Naked Scientists Forum

None
« Reply #25 on: 03/08/2011 17:02:36 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length