The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What are the consequences of moving off the Earth's axis?  (Read 1870 times)

Dennis Jones

Dennis Jones  asked the Naked Scientists:

I read that the earth moved off axis 4 inches as a result of the 9.0 earthquake.

What are the short term and long term effects of this?

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 04/04/2011 16:30:03 by _system »

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
What are the consequences of moving off the Earth's axis?
« Reply #1 on: 06/04/2011 03:13:41 »
News to me :)

Do you have a link?
==

Checked.

"Experts at the National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology in Italy say the 8,9 magnitude earthquake that struck Japan last Friday morning was powerful enough to have shifted the earth’s axis by ten inches. The U.S. Geological Survey said the earthquake shifted the main island of Japan by 2,4 metres, or eight feet.

Professor Andrew Miall, a geologist at the University of Toronto, told Postmedia News :

"Ten inches [25cm] sounds like quite a lot when you hold a ruler in front of you. But if you think of it in terms of the earth as a whole, it's absolutely tiny; it's minute. It's going to make minute changes to the length of a day. It could make very, very tiny changes to the tilt of the earth, which affects the seasons, but these effects are so small, it'd take very precise satellite navigation to pick it up”.

The Tokyo Earthquake Research Institute has said that the quake was caused when a rupture occurred between the Pacific and North American tectonic plates causing the pacific plate to slip in under the Japan Trench. "

But I wonder how they check it?
Against the stars (sun), the solar system, or is it only a theoretical guess?
==

Ah well, theoretical mostly it seems.
Hmm. 0ops. shake rattle and roll :)

As we should have had earthquakes for the almost whole period of Earths history as it seems to me?
A strange one, someone that know? JB maybe :)
« Last Edit: 06/04/2011 07:47:27 by yor_on »

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06/04/2011 03:34:26 »
Who knows, NASA had some good satellite programs going, but with the current political view of the SpaceProgram, I don't know, it 'costs' you know. :) For what it's worth, here's something interesting Deformation, Ecosystem Structure and Dynamics of Ice

Offline JMLCarter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06/04/2011 22:29:08 »
The earth's axis wobbles over about 9m every 435 days anyway. A variety of causes, precession, tidal forces, the earth isn't a perfect sphere.

I don't think 4inches is very significant.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 06/04/2011 22:29:08 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums