The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What causes fever in a 15-month old child?  (Read 3909 times)

Offline Toni and James

• First timers
    • View Profile
What causes fever in a 15-month old child?
« on: 06/04/2011 00:30:02 »
Toni and James  asked the Naked Scientists:

Hi Dr Chris

We have a 15 month old daughter who appears every now and then to be more prone to getting a temperature in the evening, as well as when she is teething. I understand that there may be a link between temperature and teething, albeit that I have heard a suggestion that the teething may be a by-product of the temperature, rather than the temperature being a by-product of the teething.  Is there any reason for the evening/nightime temperature and is there any evidence to suggest whether the temperature is the by-product of the teething or alternatively any evidence of the teething being a by-product of the temperature ?

Understanding why, as well as which issue is the cause would help me to understand better how to help her with the problems (ie temperature and pain) - when I know she is teething should I give her calpol or should I wait for the temperature ?

Many thanks
James Lupton

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 06/04/2011 00:30:02 by _system »

Offline JMLCarter

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 10/04/2011 22:13:37 »
For teething pains I use a teething gel "bonjela" which is applied directly to the gums.
Don't use the adult version it is bad for children under 6, it says so on the box.
« Last Edit: 10/04/2011 22:16:51 by JMLCarter »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #1 on: 10/04/2011 22:13:37 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums