The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What radiation protective clothing is needed in case of a meltdown?  (Read 3119 times)

Offline reb

• First timers
    • View Profile
I live 50 mi. south of Montrose, NY where the Indian Point nuclear plant resides.  I would like to know what form of protective clothing would be needed in the event of a meltdown similar to what Japan is experiencing.  Thank you.
« Last Edit: 14/08/2012 10:17:29 by chris »

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Radiation Protective Clothing
« Reply #1 on: 09/04/2011 06:29:51 »
We had a long and heated debate on this subject quite recently, but I don't seem to be able to find the thread.

Can someone post a link to the thread?

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09/04/2011 12:49:51 »
There are a million things to be worried about before you worry about that.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09/04/2011 14:40:14 »
I live 50 mi. south of Montrose, NY where the Indian Point nuclear plant resides.  I would like to know what form of protective clothing would be needed in the event of a meltdown similar to what Japan is experiencing.  Thank you.

It depends.
If it's raining, I'd get an umbrella or maybe a raincoat as protection from the rain.
On the other hand I might choose a sun hat in sunny weather. A nice warm coat might be a good idea in winter.
There's no real point worrying about the nuclear plant, the weather is much more important. If you want to live longer then (at least for most people) getting a better diet and more exercise ill make more difference than any protective clothing ever could.

From 50 miles away there's not much of a risk. If things get bad enough that there is a significant risk then leaving the area is a better bet than trying to get protective clothing to work.

Offline reb

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09/04/2011 23:08:08 »
Thank you all for your responses.  I will pursue the link for the information I requested. 

I can appreciate that perhaps it isn't a real issue to protect oneself with clothing. I will think about a plan for an escape route.

^^^...the weather is much more important...

^^^...getting a better diet and more exercise

These are definitely ideas to think more about. 

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 09/04/2011 23:08:08 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums