The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: test, test - why can't i post to the forum?  (Read 3843 times)

Offline briligg

• www.briligg.com
    • View Profile
test, test - why can't i post to the forum?
« on: 09/04/2011 22:55:47 »
erm, just testing...

ok.... so why can't i post to the medical forum?
i've been trying to start a new topic, and when i press post, i get a message saying something like:

'posting failed for the following reason:'
and then there is no reason...
« Last Edit: 09/04/2011 23:02:07 by briligg »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 10/04/2011 00:09:58 »
Oh shoot !!

I had the exact same thing happen to me and I can't recall what it was exactly !

But...i would like to hazard a guess that if you copy the exact text of what you are tying to post in that forum and just paste it here in this thread that...that post will also not post !....

...there is something in your text that the forum just does not like and for the life of me I can't remember what it was that I discovered that was in the context........ that the  forum just did not like........it's a combination of letters I think !!

Please try and post the exact same text here and see what happens....

Offline briligg

• www.briligg.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10/04/2011 01:52:58 »
Wow, you are right, it won't post here either. this is the error message:

The following error or errors occurred while posting this message:

And that's it, no error is specified.

Offline briligg

• www.briligg.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10/04/2011 01:56:51 »
Does the forum filter certain words? The post is pretty straightforward, it doesn't contain code or anything. It does contain the word modafinil... but there are plenty of posts about marijuana, so i doubt that is the issue.

Offline briligg

• www.briligg.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10/04/2011 01:58:11 »
Ok, no, that isn't the problem. The first time i got the error, i copied the text of the post to wordpad so i wouldn't lose it, could it be due to formatting from that?

No, that isn't it either. Permit me to do a little experimentation... now instead of continuing my monologue, i'll just modify this entry a few times to see if i can determine what it is.
« Last Edit: 10/04/2011 02:13:33 by briligg »

Offline briligg

• www.briligg.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10/04/2011 02:15:15 »
Recently i saw a doctor here in Mexico because at this time of year i tend to get a minor sense of a lack of air,
which has now become noticeable enough to do something about it. I was given pills to dilate my bronchii, and told
that because of the extreme dryness and sudden temperature changes of this season in this region, complaints like
mine are common at this time of year. I was also advised to begin spending 2 minutes every day blowing bubbles
through a straw into a yoghurt container filled with water. I have done that, and have now increased it to three
minutes, and intend to increase it more, on a hypothesis that i could help my fatigue in general by increasing my
lung capacity as much as i can.

Fa. Ci. Na. Ting. I can post the sections of the post that don't mention modafinil, and even if i take out the words 'modafinil', 'dose', 'xx mg', 'daily', and i think i eliminated a couple of other things as well, it still will not post that paragraph. But it will post other paragraphs, like the one above.

And yet it will post what i just said, which mentioned all of those words again. That's one hell of a filter. Okay. So i guess the previous post was flagged by an automatic filter as being either spam or grossly inappropriate, which is fair enough, and now it won't post anything even resembling the offending passage. Let me see if i can work around this.

Thanks, neilep.
(btw, first i tried to post the passage with the words i thought had been flagged, and i got the same error. Then i tried to eliminate the words that may have been flagged, but it still wouldn't post, same error. Then i tried to post the first paragraph of this post, which was part of the same thing. It posted fine.)
(btw 2 - it wasn't grossly inappropriate either, but i can see how it might have seemed that way to an automatic filter.)
« Last Edit: 10/04/2011 02:40:39 by briligg »

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10/04/2011 09:24:58 »
I know the filter rejects Nιke (I substituted a Greek letter to get around it!)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10/04/2011 11:15:06 »

Thanks, neilep.
(btw, first i tried to post the passage with the words i thought had been flagged, and i got the same error. Then i tried to eliminate the words that may have been flagged, but it still wouldn't post, same error. Then i tried to post the first paragraph of this post, which was part of the same thing. It posted fine.)
(btw 2 - it wasn't grossly inappropriate either, but i can see how it might have seemed that way to an automatic filter.)

Ewe are welcome briligg.. ;)..Yep...definitely a filtration issue !...seems the system likes to take pedantry to a new level every once in a while.   Thinking about the instance it happened to me...you're post has reminded me that I did discover that it was a word that doubled up as a brand name though that was not the intent of my post.

Yayyyy !!..at least we figured it out !! :D

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20/04/2011 13:37:26 »
I just noticed part of " d i a g n o s i s " is now a banned word.

Update: it's the " g n o s i s " bit.
« Last Edit: 20/04/2011 13:40:20 by RD »

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20/04/2011 14:33:42 »
Test: gnosis

If this post goes up, I've successfully white-listed gnosis

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20/04/2011 16:49:46 »
diagnosi
Test: gnosis

If this post goes up, I've successfully white-listed gnosis

I can now post gnosis, but I still can't post d i a g n o s i s (without spaces between letters)

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20/04/2011 18:09:59 »
Should be fixed.  I whitelisted diagnosis instead of g n o s i s.  Whitelist only allows through the exact word you whitelisted.  Anything else with g n o s i s in it should still be blacklisted...
« Last Edit: 20/04/2011 18:15:34 by JP »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20/04/2011 18:12:28 »
diagnosis ... hurrah! it's fixed.

« Last Edit: 20/04/2011 18:16:31 by RD »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20/04/2011 23:01:52 »
Should be fixed.  I whitelisted diagnosis instead of g n o s i s.  Whitelist only allows through the exact word you whitelisted.  Anything else with g n o s i s in it should still be blacklisted...

I'm nit picking, but your rule won't permit " diagnosis of exclusion ", if there isn't a space between " and diagnosis,

or this URL ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Diagnosis _of_exclusion , without the space before and after Diagnosis,
(and as you can see the link won't work if spaces are added).
« Last Edit: 20/04/2011 23:14:22 by RD »

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21/04/2011 04:49:13 »
Yeah.  The whitelist works by only allowing words that match exactly with what you whitelist.  The quotation marks count as part of the word, so it doesn't allow them.  I'm just going to remove "gnosis" from the blacklist and hope we don't get gnostic spam.  :)

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #14 on: 21/04/2011 04:49:13 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length