The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How can I get rid of moles?  (Read 3975 times)

nigel allinson

How can I get rid of moles?
« on: 11/04/2011 00:30:03 »
nigel allinson asked the Naked Scientists:

We have a mole problem in deepest Oxfordshire.

I've had a go at most things: traps, moth balls etc.

Are the little buggers clever, or is there a science way it outsmart them?

Have they burrowed all the way from Oz to the mother country??

ta, nigel

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 11/04/2011 00:30:03 by _system »

Offline Airthumbs

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 11/04/2011 04:32:32 »
No offence intended but please explain why these innocent little beasties are a problem?  I guess it is the fact that they leave little mole hills on your land?

I had a client with a similar complaint some time ago and what I did worked very well but I still feel terribly guilty about it!!  Water!  Yep, I got hose pipe and using a pump inserted it into a river stuck the other end of the pipe down one of the holes and left it on all day  [V]

This removed the problem or at least decimated it anyway!  Unfortunately that year the Barn owls and Hawks stopped nesting in the special boxes we made for them.  I hate to think about the local eco-catastrophe I might be responsible for!

What I would say is that unless your using your garden as a putting green, just rake out the mole hills and let the poor little things contribute to the eco-system. 

If your still not content and wish to commit "animacide", like I did, then I suggest moving somewhere where you won't be bothered by them like a flat or dungeon  ;D

Offline Mazurka

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15/04/2011 15:07:50 »
My great uncle carefully removed the turf (that was his pride and joy), laid chicken wire and replaced the turf (which then took nearly 2 years to return to its previous high standard.)  No more mole hills, no harm to anything else.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #3 on: 03/12/2011 13:08:00 »
The mole are appear on the skin on any part of the body. I too had a mole on my face and I am very uncomfortable with it. I go for the mole removal surgery and it is such an excellent and the best to get remove the mole. Visit to SPAMremovalguide.com for more information about the surgery.

Apart from the fact this post is nothing but SPAM, if I had an insectivorous burrowing mammal under my skin, I think I would be concerned enough to call for an ambulance, certainly not a twit who can't tell the difference between a member of the Talpidae family and small brown blemish.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03/12/2011 20:22:18 »
The mole are appear on the skin on any part of the body. I too had a mole on my face and I am very uncomfortable with it. I go for the mole removal surgery and it is such an excellent and the best to get remove the mole. Visit to SPAMremovalguide.com for more information about the surgery.
Apart from the fact this post is nothing but SPAM, if I had an insectivorous burrowing mammal under my skin, I think I would be concerned enough to call for an ambulance, certainly not a twit who can't tell the difference between a member of the Talpidae family and small brown blemish.

My Grandmother would shoot her moles with a 12 Gauge Shotgun. 

I'm a little reluctant to try the same approach for the mole on my shoulder.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04/12/2011 11:24:09 »
Multiply by 6.02E 23 and work in particles instead.
I also found a number of references that assert
"The Mole ("There's only one way to get rid of a mole blow its bloody head off!")"
e.g. this page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jasper_Carrott

Offline CZARCAR

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04/12/2011 17:15:26 »
get a herd of skunks

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 04/12/2011 17:15:26 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums