The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is it "Mariana" or "Marianas" Trench?  (Read 5597 times)

Offline Geoquest

• View Profile
Is it "Mariana" or "Marianas" Trench?
« on: 12/04/2011 03:11:13 »
Hi all...just stumbled across this forum and while I will be following up with an intro post I couldn't wait long enough to try and get this question answered. I saw an episode of How the Earth was Made and in this same episode the trench is sometimes referred to as Mariana and at other times as Marianas. Doing a quick search on google returns both spellings. Is it proper to refer to it in both ways or is one preferred in the geo community?

Thanks in advance : )

Offline BioWizard

• The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • ForumMagnum - All Things Rome
« Reply #1 on: 12/04/2011 05:29:36 »
Hi all...just stumbled across this forum and while I will be following up with an intro post I couldn't wait long enough to try and get this question answered. I saw an episode of How the Earth was Made and in this same episode the trench is sometimes referred to as Mariana and at other times as Marianas. Doing a quick search on google returns both spellings. Is it proper to refer to it in both ways or is one preferred in the geo community?

Thanks in advance : )

Hi Geoquest, I think that you use both "Mariana" or "Marianas" Trench. Because the word "Mariana" and "Marianas" is just half similar because of the added "s". Thanks!

-BioWizard

Offline Bass

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12/04/2011 15:43:58 »
Both are in popular usage, but "Mariana Trench" is the proper term.  There is, however, a punk rock band from Canada called Marianas Trench.

Offline BioWizard

• The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13/04/2011 02:42:07 »
Both are in popular usage, but "Mariana Trench" is the proper term.  There is, however, a punk rock band from Canada called Marianas Trench.

Interesting Bass!

Offline Geoquest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13/04/2011 04:04:56 »
Thanks for the responses guys! The advisor I have been speaking with at UT Dallas also happens to be in the Mariana Trench episode of "How the Earth was Made" so I figured it would be a good idea to not commit a geological faux pas.  :)

Unfortunately I do not have the episode saved and I cannot remember which version of the trench he used.

I'll stick with Mariana and yes I did notice when I did my google search that there is a band named after the trench.....pretty funny!

Offline BioWizard

• The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13/04/2011 05:58:50 »
Thanks for the responses guys! The advisor I have been speaking with at UT Dallas also happens to be in the Mariana Trench episode of "How the Earth was Made" so I figured it would be a good idea to not commit a geological faux pas.  :)

Unfortunately I do not have the episode saved and I cannot remember which version of the trench he used.

I'll stick with Mariana and yes I did notice when I did my google search that there is a band named after the trench.....pretty funny!
Your welcome! :)

I know, lol! :D

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 13/04/2011 05:58:50 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums