The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: INVENTION  (Read 2555 times)

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
INVENTION
« on: 25/03/2006 01:56:45 »
All i could think of is Marie curie but their have to be other famous female scientists.WHO
 If you go back in time almost every famous scientific discovery /invention seems to be made by a man. Why is that,do mens brains work better in the imagination department.

Michael

another_someone

Re: INVENTION
« Reply #1 on: 25/03/2006 02:19:03 »
There are a number of possible answers, and it is not necessarily the case that one single answer is the complete answer.

Ofcourse, the first thing most women will tell you, and rightly so, that historically women would not have been allowed to put their name to an invention, even if they had made it at very least, they might have needed to use a male pseudonym, but more probably would have to give their husband or father the credit for their actions.

Historically, women were less likely to be educated, although I am always dubious to what extent education helps or hinders invention, and some of the best inventors were self taught men who were not constrained by the prejudices given them by the education system.

Beyond that, it is established fact that women, while generally having the same average IQ as men, tend to cluster closer to that average; thus there are more men than women with exceptionally high IQs (the corollary is that there are also more men then women with exceptionally low IQs, but that it not pertinent to scientific discovery).

George

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #2 on: 25/03/2006 02:48:06 »
quote:
Originally posted by another_someone

Historically, women were less likely to be educated, although I am always dubious to what extent education helps or hinders invention, and some of the best inventors were self taught men who were not constrained by the prejudices given them by the education system.

George

That was what i was thinking.

also it just goes to show without us men the world would not be a better place, without us men all you ladies would all still be sitting in your caves using charcoal as eyeshadow.
Then again without us men you still may not have invented fire to create the charcoal:D

Michael
« Last Edit: 25/03/2006 02:48:33 by ukmicky »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 25/03/2006 02:48:06 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums