The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is this ?  (Read 7719 times)

Offline ghoust_ny

• First timers
    • View Profile
What is this ?
« on: 18/04/2011 02:07:36 »
Ok heres the deal sometime ago over the Borough of Staten Island NY i saw a fireball in the sky so few days later i decided to go and look for some meteorites so i go to where i though the ball flew over and started my search and i found a few  rocks that caught my eye right away they were kind of sticking out from all the rest like they don't belong there so i grabbed the few that i could find in my hour and a half search and there were all in between 30 feet of each other on the beach
i checked them with magnets and the magnet behaves funny when i put it close to them it don't stick but the magnet is moved by some force
iam not really good at this things so ill just post some pics for you guys to look at

it feels like metal and has some rust on it to and it has the look of a metal blade that has overheated while cutting something it gets this look to it some of you will know what i mean anyway i want some opinions thanx
« Last Edit: 18/04/2011 02:55:35 by ghoust_ny »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
What is this ?
« Reply #1 on: 18/04/2011 14:02:56 »
If the specimen is shiny* on the outside it is not a meteorite.
http://www.uky.edu/KGS/education/meteor_find.htm

[* There are rare shiny iron meteorites , but their surface has a melted appearance, e.g. ... http://meteorites.wustl.edu/id/sikhote-alin_many_small_l.jpg ]

Your find may be iron ore  [?]

http://www.mii.org/Minerals/photoiron.html

http://meteorites.wustl.edu/meteorwrongs/meteorwrongs.htm
« Last Edit: 18/04/2011 19:32:55 by RD »

Offline ghoust_ny

• First timers
    • View Profile
What is this ?
« Reply #2 on: 18/04/2011 17:00:41 »
ok one more question would this attract a magnet ?

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
What is this ?
« Reply #3 on: 18/04/2011 19:22:31 »
... magnet behaves funny when i put it close to them it don't stick but the magnet is moved by some force

The ore could be magnetic, (e.g. include magnetite), and repel or attract other magnets, depending on orientation.
« Last Edit: 18/04/2011 19:24:48 by RD »

Offline ghoust_ny

• First timers
    • View Profile
What is this ?
« Reply #4 on: 18/04/2011 22:18:15 »
ok thanx

since those were not what i was looking for

today i searched the same area some more and found this one have any idea what it might be ? anyone ?
its 52.7g  seems like it has some nice impact scars on it visible nicely at least thats what they look like to me

« Last Edit: 19/04/2011 00:40:25 by ghoust_ny »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
What is this ?
« Reply #5 on: 19/04/2011 01:01:08 »
... seems like it has some nice impact scars on it visible nicely at least thats what they look like to me

IMO the "impact scars" look more like cavities created by gas bubbles when the rock was molten.

http://www.pitt.edu/~cejones/GeoImages/2IgneousRocks/IgneousTextures/7VesicularAmygdaloidal.html
« Last Edit: 19/04/2011 01:27:29 by RD »

Offline ghoust_ny

• First timers
    • View Profile
What is this ?
« Reply #6 on: 19/04/2011 01:14:34 »
it is magnetic and it has a dark crust around it that looks like a fusion crust or something when i scrape it of theres shiny under it and it passes the streak test newbielink:http://meteorites.wustl.edu/id/streak.htm [nonactive] and its really hard to scrape of the crust but its definitely on there
« Last Edit: 19/04/2011 01:18:55 by ghoust_ny »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
What is this ?
« Reply #7 on: 19/04/2011 01:32:20 »
it is magnetic and it has a dark crust around it that looks like a fusion crust or something when i scrape it of theres shiny under it

Man-made iron slag would fit the bill. Slag has vesicles (cavities made by gas bubbles), but meteorites don't ... http://meteorites.wustl.edu/meteorwrongs/m093.htm

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
What is this ?
« Reply #8 on: 19/04/2011 01:33:47 »
Can a knife or a nail scratch any of these rocks?

Offline Farcanal

• View Profile
What is this ?
« Reply #9 on: 19/04/2011 01:54:28 »
it is magnetic and it has a dark crust around it that looks like a fusion crust or something when i scrape it of theres shiny under it

Man-made iron slag would fit the bill. Slag has vesicles (cavities made by gas bubbles), but meteorites don't ... http://meteorites.wustl.edu/meteorwrongs/m093.htm [nofollow]

That's my view too.Remember that all the metals are either magnetic (attract each other) or diamagnetic (repel each other). Bismuth is a clear example of diamagnetism and repels a magnet strongly.

Offline ghoust_ny

• First timers
    • View Profile
What is this ?
« Reply #10 on: 19/04/2011 02:18:05 »

not the second set of pictures it kind of removes the black crust and its shiny under it but its extremely hard to get it off
« Last Edit: 19/04/2011 02:24:18 by ghoust_ny »

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
What is this ?
« Reply #11 on: 19/04/2011 03:02:25 »

not the second set of pictures it kind of removes the black crust and its shiny under it but its extremely hard to get it off

The first set of picture looks a lot like anthracitic coal. This is the highest grade of coal and would have been used to heat houses. In the 50's when I was VERY young, my dad moved back home after WW II to just south of Boston, Mass. He got his old job as chief accountant back at Brockton Ice & Coal. I distinctly remember being in the basement while he shoveled coal into the furnace. Looked a heck of a lot like this stuff. I also remember going to his business. I could pick up the shiny stuff and hold it - but not the dull stuff. It didn't matter to my dad but my mom had a fit when I picked up the dull stuff because I would get it into my clothes and she would have to scrub it out.

The slag could be a product of something that used coal for heat.

Offline frethack

• View Profile
What is this ?
« Reply #12 on: 20/04/2011 04:32:18 »
If they are magnetic, I would consider taking them to a local university.  Have a professor or grad student take a look...trust me, they will slobber all over themselves.  Dont do any more streak tests or remove the fusion crust, as this is desirable to collectors.  If its from a new fall, they could be worth a little money.

The "impact scars" could be vesicles, but also could be from the heat of entry.

The fact that you found them on the beach means they could have drifted in and not be meteorites, but if theyre magnetic, its worth checking out.

Offline ghoust_ny

• First timers
    • View Profile
What is this ?
« Reply #13 on: 20/04/2011 18:13:43 »
well it is magnetic and i didnt find it on the beach but very close to it but there is no way they could be brought there by water because water is around 300 feet away  for now ill just keep it around they are nice rocks might drop em in my fish tank :D

what i did is scraped some of the crust off and the crust is magnetic iam planning on keeping it and maybe starting my own collection of some nice rocks specially that i always look for new rocks for my aquarium
« Last Edit: 20/04/2011 18:38:05 by ghoust_ny »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
What is this ?
« Reply #14 on: 20/04/2011 18:36:41 »
... new rocks for my aquarium

Suitability of Rocks in the Aquarium
A Practical Guide ... http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/rock_metals.php

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
What is this ?
« Reply #15 on: 20/04/2011 21:50:00 »

... there is no way they could be brought there by water because water is around 300 feet away ...

I hate to tell you this but Staten Island is formed by water moving - it is a terminal moraine of a glacier. Water (all be it solid) did form the island.

AS FOR THE MAGNETIC PROPERTIES -

Lets think about this a bit. Coal forms in low energy environments where stuff is washed in and settles out. Magnetite is one of the things that will be found in abundance in such a depositional environment.

MOREOVER,
  magnetite is used in the separation of coal types from the same mine.

"Gravity separation

Gravity separation methods make use of the different relative densities of different grades of coal, and the reject material.

(snip)

"Dense medium gravity separation methods use a material such as magnetite to form a medium denser than water to assist in separation.

"A cyclone is a conical vessel in which coal along with finely ground magnetite (media) is pumped tangentially to a tapered inlet and short cylindrical section followed by a conical section where the separation takes place. The higher sp. gr. fractions being subject to greater centrifugal forces pull away from the central core and descend downwards towards the apex along the wall of cyclone body and pass out as rejects/middlings. The lighter particles are caught in an upward stream and pass out as clean coal through the cyclone overflow outlet via the vortex finder."

All of the coal now contains magnetite.

I would not get too excited about the presence of a magnetic field in coal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coal_preparation_plant
« Last Edit: 20/04/2011 22:34:44 by JimBob »

Offline frethack

• View Profile
What is this ?
« Reply #16 on: 20/04/2011 23:04:48 »
It would not be difficult do distinguish anthracite by density...even with magnetite.

The Naked Scientists Forum

What is this ?
« Reply #16 on: 20/04/2011 23:04:48 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums