The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is the best way to make a plant potting soil using horse manure?  (Read 4659 times)

Offline Jolly- Joliver

• View Profile
If I wanted to make a Plant potting soil using horse manure, what would be best to mix with it? And at what proportions?

And as a futher question if I wanted to turn Horse manure into an easily spreadable fertilizer, what would be the best way to treat it?
« Last Edit: 18/04/2011 17:00:27 by Wiybit »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
IIRC you have to let the manure rot for a year before using it: if you apply "fresh" manure it can damage plants ...
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/96425-fresh-manure.html
« Last Edit: 18/04/2011 19:13:28 by RD »

Offline Jolly- Joliver

• View Profile
IIRC you have to let the manure rot for a year before using it: if you apply "fresh" manure it can damage plants ...
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/96425-fresh-manure.html

Depends on what ind of manure you are using. Poultry manure (chicken,
turkeys) is much more concentrated than equine (horse, donkey, mule) manure
and will definitely burn roots. Cattle manure is about in between and may
or may not burn. Aged manure is best in any case. A manure tea is suitable
for transplants. To make the tea, put manure (horse -cattle manure
preferred) is some sort of a sack (feed sack work well) and dunk it into a
bucket (3 or 5 gallon) or water. Let it sit for 30 minutes or longer,
occasionally sloshing the sack around. Then remove the sack and dole out
the water (should now be a deep 'tea;' color) around the transplants.

Thanks for the link RD That kinda draws near what I was getting at, All manures have different qualities. So improving my question I suppose I was asking what is best to add to Horse manure(considering it qualities) to make in either a good fertiliser or a good potting mix?

I'm thinking it might be a good idea to grind it up into tiny pieaces, mix it with something else and then leave it for a year. 

It's not for me I'm just trying to help out some friends and I thought I would ask.

Just as a simple point, what is it that causes Horse manure to burn roots? I suppose at a guess it's acidity, So then the question is- what's a good alkaline to add? Although looking at the quote he appears to be saying the horse is less likly to.
I cannot say why but I was sure that there was something about horse manure that made it not as good as cow manure.
« Last Edit: 18/04/2011 20:39:36 by Wiybit »

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I suspect that the problem with undiluted manure is that the concentration of salts in it is rather high and this would damage the plants, but I may be talking sh manure here.

Offline Jolly- Joliver

• View Profile
I suspect that the problem with undiluted manure is that the concentration of salts in it is rather high and this would damage the plants, but I may be talking sh manure here.

:) Thankyou BC

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums