The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: mensa members  (Read 12160 times)

sharkeyandgeorge

mensa members
« on: 25/03/2006 22:06:00 »
I took the mensa home test recently and have been invited to sit a supervised assement on the 1st of april. not wanting to sound arrogant i have been tested many many time and have always been in the top 1 percent so dont think ill really have much of a problem passing the question is do i want to be a member?

are any of you members?

what are the benefits?

and perhaps most importantly to all of you that are members does it make a diffrence on a c.v?

replies to any and all of these questions would be appreciated and perhaps all of the naked scientists out there could tell me what their  thoughts on mensa are?

"your not paranoid if they're really after you"

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
Re: mensa members
« Reply #1 on: 25/03/2006 23:19:10 »
quote:
Originally posted by sharkeyandgeorge

I took the mensa home test recently and have been invited to sit a supervised assement on the 1st of april. not wanting to sound arrogant i have been tested many many time and have always been in the top 1 percent so dont think ill really have much of a problem passing the question is do i want to be a member?

are any of you members?

what are the benefits?

and perhaps most importantly to all of you that are members does it make a diffrence on a c.v?

replies to any and all of these questions would be appreciated and perhaps all of the naked scientists out there could tell me what their  thoughts on mensa are?

HA HA very funny you didn't fool me "i have been tested many many time and have always been in the top 1 percent"  yeah right :).
So your good enough to join mensa and yet you can't spell the words assessment and difference. and to top it all off the date of your test is april the 1st a sunday.

Come on mate we weren't all born yesterday:)

Michael
« Last Edit: 25/03/2006 23:30:48 by ukmicky »

another_someone

« Reply #2 on: 26/03/2006 02:42:00 »
Firstly, if you actually have taken a previous IQ test, and prove the results, then you do not need to take the supervised test, you just need to supply proof of your previous test, and pay the subscription (yes, that's the painful bit).

There is much debate on whether mensa membership has any value on the CV.  At most, it should only be included under hobbies.  In general, the only group that seems to feel benefit from including mensa on their CVs are girls who feel they might be thought bimbos, and feel they need to prove otherwise.  Most men fear including mensa on their CV might seem like arrogance.

What is the value of being a member is personal, and for many, it is a question not properly answered.

I don't know whether you are UK or US, but each mensa is different, even though they also share many features.

I will speak from my experience of mensa in the UK, and a little bit about my time in Belgium.

In the UK, over a million people are eligible to be members of mensa, about 27,000 are.

Those who are members of mensa are themselves regarded in two groups, those that are socially active within mensa, and those that seem to receive the magazine each month and not much else.  I cannot answer what this latter group find in mensa, although they represent about 95% of the membership, but no doubt they have their own reasons for continuing to pay their subs.

For me, it is a great social group.  Many of the members (but by no means all Ė but one thing you can say about mensa is that there is nothing that is true of all mensans except that they all have this same capability to reach a certain score on an IQ test), they have found that their IQ had always made them a little alienated in ordinary company, and find the company of others with a similar IQ is like coming home.

Another benefit to mensa is for people who move around a lot.  If you are spending time in a town where you don't know anyone, then you find your local mensa group, and you have a ready made group of friends.

As I mentioned, I also spent a short while in Belgium, back in the winter of 94/95.  I contacted the local mensa group.  Mensa in Belgium (at the time) was only about 200 members, and they looked with awe towards the 27,000 members in the UK (only the USA has comparable membership numbers, but it does have a much larger catchment population).  Unlike mensa UK, which seems to be dominated by IT professionals (although it does include people from all walks of life, and this is another thing that makes mensa interesting, there are unemployed, lorry drivers, civil servants, industrialists and entrepreneurs, police officers, and from every part of the globe), but mensa in Belgium was far more populated with academics.  I attended some of the meetings (since the Walloons and the Flems won't talk to each other, even in such a small group, the French speaking Walloons and Dutch speaking Flems held separate meetings, and only one person attended both, but he invited me along to both sets, and became my interpreter while I was there).

The gender ratio in mensa is about 2:1 male to female (this reflects the gender ratio of the top 2% IQ).  Of those mensan women I have met (which inevitably excludes those that are not socially active), probably around half are married to, or romantically involved, with someone they met in mensa, because it is a context where they did not have to pretend to be dumb.

Incidentally, in response the Michael's point over spelling, there are plenty in mensa who are dyslexic (and my own spelling is atrocious, and would be a lot worse was it not for spell checkers Ė but ofcourse, a spell checker only tells you that you have spelled a word correctly, not that it was the correct word that you had spelled correctly).

Hope that you do decide to join, at least to try it out.

George
« Last Edit: 26/03/2006 02:52:24 by another_someone »

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26/03/2006 03:37:42 »
quote:
Incidentally, in response the Michael's point over spelling, there are plenty in mensa who are dyslexic (and my own spelling is atrocious, and would be a lot worse was it not for spell checkers Ė but ofcourse, a spell checker only tells you that you have spelled a word correctly, not that it was the correct word that you had spelled correctly).

Hi George

I was only jesting with Chris i couldn't help it, especially when i saw what day his test was on, of all the days. April fools day :)

Also maybe correct spelling doesnt count when it comes to someone IQ but shouldn't someone with an high IQ,the type of IQ which  mensa are looking for be able to put a proper sentence together, using the correct word terminology and linking everything up so it reads correctly.  

By the way the word you should have used above was spelt and not spelled. SORRY :D

PS i wouldn't stand a chance passing :D
Michael

Michael
« Last Edit: 26/03/2006 03:43:52 by ukmicky »

another_someone

« Reply #4 on: 26/03/2006 04:12:32 »
quote:
Originally posted by ukmicky

Also maybe correct spelling doesnt count when it comes to someone IQ but shouldn't someone with an high IQ,the type of IQ which  mensa are looking for be able to put a proper sentence together, using the correct word terminology and linking everything up so it reads correctly.  

Firstly, mensa did not invent IQ tests, and so does not determine what they may or may not prove Ė it merely utilises the results.

IQ tests are not about language, and in modern times, increasingly try and avoid testing language (it is not considered good measure if someone who is dyslexic, or is not a native English speaker, is being tested upon their competence in written English rather than their underlying logical thought processes).

I am not saying that language skills are unimportant, but they are not what IQ is about.

George

sharkeyandgeorge

« Reply #5 on: 26/03/2006 14:14:27 »
i dont think im dyslexic but have always had a bit of a blind spot in spelling nor do i claim to be a genius or even very smart but i am quite bright and happen to be very good at I.Q tests. Also thanks for the info another someone but i would fear to use my proper tests as all the ones ive taken have been for medical reasons and i would be humiliating to show these tests to other people.

another_someone

« Reply #6 on: 26/03/2006 14:56:00 »
quote:

i dont think im dyslexic but have always had a bit of a blind spot in spelling

Unless you are tested formally (and most people who might be dyslexic, never are) you cannot say whether you have a mild dyslexia or not.

One of the articles in the mensa magazine a few months ago highlighted that many people who have a high IQ, but are dyslexic, are more difficult to spot because they develop more sophisticated compensation mechanisms.

quote:

nor do i claim to be a genius or even very smart but i am quite bright and happen to be very good at I.Q tests.

That is the whole point Ė high IQ is not the same as being a genius, it is merely a one dimensional measure of a very complicated and multidimensional machine, the human brain.  No single one dimensional measure can say everything that is pertinent about how your brain functions.

Nonetheless, it is my experience that people who are on the extreme end of that measure (just as probably is true where people are at the extreme end of any measure of mental of physical function) do share certain features, and a certain understanding of each other, that is not shared by the community at large.

quote:

Also thanks for the info another someone but i would fear to use my proper tests as all the ones ive taken have been for medical reasons and i would be humiliating to show these tests to other people.

That must be a judgement you must make for yourself Ė the option is there, should you wish to avail yourself of it is purely a personal choice.

George

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26/03/2006 23:05:53 »
quote:
By the way the word you should have used above was spelt and not spelled. SORRY

Nope. He was right. "Spelt" is the passive form of the verb; i.e. "It was spelt correctly". The active past participle of "spell" is "spelled". It's the same as spill, spilled and spilt.

Brand new forum at
http://beaverlandforum.d4a.com
More than just science
« Last Edit: 26/03/2006 23:08:17 by DoctorBeaver »

Offline ariel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27/03/2006 00:05:28 »
well...
according to dictionary.com
it appears to be both :D

spelt2     P   Pronunciation Key  (splt)
v.
A past tense and a past participle of spell1.

ariel

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27/03/2006 00:17:42 »
Ariel thankyou  your my champion:)

Michael

Offline Ophiolite

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27/03/2006 00:24:05 »
quote:

That would be you are my champion.:)

Observe; collate; conjecture; analyse; hypothesise; test; validate; theorise. Repeat until complete.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27/03/2006 01:20:52 »
Dearest Peers,

I have been invited by my three year olds 'Huggle Wuggle Giggle Tickle' group to partake in their entrance exam on April 1st. I took the tester exam by correctly sticking Mr Fluffys nose on his arse.

To them, this was " close enough" to merit my invitation. I have been tested many times and have always been in the top 1%. Are any of you members ?....what are the benefits ?...I'm a little hesitant as I know the exam will require my ability to blow bubbles and pull funny faces at hamsters in a cage.
Your advice will be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: 27/03/2006 02:11:34 by neilep »

Offline ariel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27/03/2006 01:52:14 »
quote:
Originally posted by Ophiolite

quote:

That would be you are my champion.:)

Observe; collate; conjecture; analyse; hypothesise; test; validate; theorise. Repeat until complete.

sorry, but you are not going to ruin my champion status :D

your, you're Often confused or misspelled. And computer spellcheckers won't catch the mistaken substitution of one of these homonyms for the other.
as stated on http://home.comcast.net/~garbl/stylemanual/vthruz.htm

and...
Without a doubt, technology advances at such a pace that it is virtually impossible to keep up. Already computers are more "intelligent" than humans. Our brain is thousands of times (if not more) slower than a computer today. So definitely, a computer is superior in that regard.
found on: http://slashdot.org/articles/03/01/26/2214233.shtml?tid=126

SOO
computers are more intelligent than humans, yet computer spellcheckers won't catch the mistake when using "your" instead of "you're"
THEREFORE
Michael has to be more intelligent than humans

ariel

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27/03/2006 03:31:52 »
quote:
Michael has to be more intelligent than humans

Ariel are you trying to say i'm some kind of super intelligent alien.:) I have to say though the thought has occasionally gone through my mind but my daughter usually brings me back down to earth when she asks me for help with her college homework.

quote:
I'm a little hesitant as I know the exam will require my ability to blow bubbles and pull funny faces at hamsters in a cage. Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Neil it should be a doddle for you and i cant see why your so nervous ,just act normal.

Michael

Offline ariel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27/03/2006 05:16:27 »
well
either that or you used a spellchecker!

and while we are pointing out every spelling and grammar error...let me say to neil
that it should be my three year old's instead of three year olds
haha! :D

ariel

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 27/03/2006 06:16:03 »
quote:
Originally posted by ariel

well

and while we are pointing out every spelling and grammar error...let me say to neil

ariel

Guess I'll be flunking that exam then ! :D

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

Offline DoctorBeaver

• A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 27/03/2006 16:51:36 »
quote:
Originally posted by ariel

well

ariel

There appears to be a comma missing from after "well".

Three-year-old's

:D

Brand new forum at
http://beaverlandforum.d4a.com
More than just science

sharkeyandgeorge

« Reply #17 on: 27/03/2006 17:35:26 »
Neilep I suspect you are mocking me!,J'accuse.

sharkeyandgeorge

« Reply #18 on: 27/03/2006 19:52:28 »
well its done the cheques in the mail looks like im sitting the test on the first

J.B.S Haldane on the perforated eardrums which were a consequence of his pressure experiments "the drum generally heals up; and if a hole remains in it, although one is somewhat deaf, one can blow tobacco smoke out of  the ear in question, which is a social accomplishment".

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 27/03/2006 20:12:22 »
quote:

Neilep I suspect you are mocking me!,J'accuse.

:D:D

Chris, just  ' go for it ' and best of luck....and please let us know how you get on eh ?

I can't even spell Manse !! ;)

Neil

Offline Solvay_1927

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 28/03/2006 01:26:35 »
Chris, going back to your original posting ...

A cautionary tale about mensa and CVs:

A friend of mine decided to join mensa (some years ago) because he thought it would look good on his CV.

In the year before he joined, he made several job applications and got several interviews as a result (but unfortunately they didnít turn into job offers).

In the 9 months after joining (ie. from when he started mentioning his mensa membership in the "additional info" part of his CV), he made several job applications and got absolutely NO invitations to interview.

The moral of this story? Donít mention your mensa membership on your CV.

OK, so his case isnít statistically significant evidence, but itís enough to make you think.  I suspect that the only prospective employers whoíll be turned on by mensa membership will be people who are mensa members themselves.  The vast majority of the population would (I imagine) think youíre being vain/arrogant/superior, or they might just think youíre desperate if you have to mention it on a CV.

Itís unfair, I know, but employers make snap judgements about people based on their CVs.  (You have to Ė if youíre reviewing dozens of CVs from job applicants, you have to make quick decisions.  Itís too easy to just pick out a single piece of information that turns you off and so reject the candidate.)

Good luck with the test, though.  Iím sure youíll pass, and I hope you enjoy mensa membership (whatever it entails).  But Iíd suggest that you donít go out of your way to tell complete strangers that youíre a member Ė they might just find it a turn off (unless theyíve got to know you first).

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 28/03/2006 01:58:30 »
quote:
Originally posted by Solvay_1927

But Iíd suggest that you donít go out of your way to tell complete strangers that youíre a member Ė they might just find it a turn off (unless theyíve got to know you first).

Too true, I've already gone right off him !! :D

sharkeyandgeorge

« Reply #22 on: 28/03/2006 12:01:26 »
screw the test then neilep i cant lose you as a friend. DONT GIVE UP ON ME NEILEP PLEASE!!!!!!! DONT GIVE UP ON US!!!!!!!!

J.B.S Haldane on the perforated eardrums which were a consequence of his pressure experiments "the drum generally heals up; and if a hole remains in it, although one is somewhat deaf, one can blow tobacco smoke out of  the ear in question, which is a social accomplishment".

another_someone

« Reply #23 on: 14/04/2006 00:58:34 »
quote:

well its done the cheques in the mail looks like im sitting the test on the first

Not sure the first of what, but if it was 1st of April, and you're not too embarrassed  :), you want to tell us whether you're one of us or not?

If you're in, are you yet planning to meet up with the locals?

George

sharkeyandgeorge

« Reply #24 on: 15/04/2006 13:39:31 »
alas i was 1 point shy of the scorein the culture fair test and 2 points shy in the other i suspect i may have got in if i had finished all the questions but sadly i missed half a dozen due to the very tight timing ah well i can always try again next year

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #24 on: 15/04/2006 13:39:31 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums