The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: mensa members  (Read 12188 times)

another_someone

  • Guest
Re: mensa members
« Reply #25 on: 15/04/2006 13:57:49 »
quote:
Originally posted by sharkeyandgeorge

alas i was 1 point shy of the scorein the culture fair test and 2 points shy in the other i suspect i may have got in if i had finished all the questions but sadly i missed half a dozen due to the very tight timing ah well i can always try again next year




Commiseration, but as you say, there is always next year.

The timing is meant to be tight, and almost no-one finishes all of the questions (as I recall, I did not and I even managed to get the answers out of phase with the questions but I understand that this too is not uncommon, and they make allowance for it).



George
 

Offline neilep

  • Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • *******
  • Posts: 20602
  • Thanked: 8 times
    • View Profile
Re: mensa members
« Reply #26 on: 27/04/2006 00:37:51 »
Alas Chris, I was also one point shy. I just couldn't master my raspberry blowing technique to the point where the hamster would put up it's cocktail umbrella. I'm really upset but as Paul (solvay) has said above, even if I had passed I wouldn't have added it to my CV...we don't need to boast do we ?

Good luck next year Chris.

Men are the same as women, just inside out !
 

sharkeyandgeorge

  • Guest
Re: mensa members
« Reply #27 on: 28/04/2006 12:51:40 »
It wasnt about boasting neilep i just needed something to put on the blank sheet of paper that tis my cv ive got very little useful skills to put on there unless someone needs lockpicking or balloon animals?

J.B.S Haldane on the perforated eardrums which were a consequence of his pressure experiments "the drum generally heals up; and if a hole remains in it, although one is somewhat deaf, one can blow tobacco smoke out of  the ear in question, which is a social accomplishment".
 

Offline Hadrian

  • Neilep Level Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 2175
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
Re: mensa members
« Reply #28 on: 28/04/2006 13:32:36 »


What is the point to it if not a bragging right and an ego trip?



 



What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say.
 

Offline neilep

  • Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • *******
  • Posts: 20602
  • Thanked: 8 times
    • View Profile
Re: mensa members
« Reply #29 on: 28/04/2006 16:15:31 »
quote:
Originally posted by sharkeyandgeorge

It wasnt about boasting neilep i just needed something to put on the blank sheet of paper that tis my cv ive got very little useful skills to put on there unless someone needs lockpicking or balloon animals?

J.B.S Haldane on the perforated eardrums which were a consequence of his pressure experiments "the drum generally heals up; and if a hole remains in it, although one is somewhat deaf, one can blow tobacco smoke out of  the ear in question, which is a social accomplishment".



Chris ,

I must have looked at thousands of CVs over the years and it always a struggle to make your first one seem filled with valid information.....

...Many people I know used to have multiple versions that effectively completely transformed their skills to the appropritae position that they were applying for.

...Before you build up a catalogue of work experience you may just want to concentrate on your relative skills, your interests and hobbies etc. Any employer or institution worth their salt will understand. So, make use of the data you have and try to be creative without blatantly stating untruths.....

...there's no law against using creative imagination. Just stipulate your strengths.

Though I must say, picking locks and balloon animals would have me hiring you in a cold second ;)...GOOD LUCK !..YAYYYYY !!!

Men are the same as women, just inside out !
 

another_someone

  • Guest
Re: mensa members
« Reply #30 on: 28/04/2006 17:32:12 »
quote:
Originally posted by Hadrian
What is the point to it if not a bragging right and an ego trip?



That has to be each person's individual judgement to make I have tried to answer it for myself in my earlier response.

Ofcourse, there may be no point at all for some people.  Out of the 1 million people eligible in this country, only 27,000 are members; thus for about 97% of the eligible population, they either don't see a point, or simply don't know what they are missing.



George
 

Offline Hadrian

  • Neilep Level Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 2175
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
Re: mensa members
« Reply #31 on: 01/05/2006 10:22:40 »
quote:
Originally posted by another_someone

quote:
Originally posted by Hadrian
What is the point to it if not a bragging right and an ego trip?



That has to be each person's individual judgement to make I have tried to answer it for myself in my earlier response.

Ofcourse, there may be no point at all for some people.  Out of the 1 million people eligible in this country, only 27,000 are members; thus for about 97% of the eligible population, they either don't see a point, or simply don't know what they are missing.






Most certainly




What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say.
 

The Naked Scientists Forum

Re: mensa members
« Reply #31 on: 01/05/2006 10:22:40 »

 

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums