The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How do non-green plants photosynthesise?  (Read 25599 times)

Offline Iddrisu Abdulai

• First timers
    • View Profile
How do non-green plants photosynthesise?
« on: 19/04/2011 17:30:06 »
Iddrisu Abdulai  asked the Naked Scientists:

Hello!

I just came across your address by chance. Thanks for you interesting work and God bless you.

I have so much interest in knowing the names (both common and botanical) of almost all fruit-bearing indigenous trees / shrubs in West Africa. Help if you can.

My biggest scientific question: How do non-green plants such as purple heart (Setcreasea purpurea) photosynthesize or manufacture their food?

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 19/04/2011 17:30:06 by _system »

Offline Dasyatis

• View Profile
    • Marine Ecology Research Society
« Reply #1 on: 21/04/2011 20:15:36 »
Photosynthetic organisms gain energy from very specific wavelengths (i.e. colors) of light. Some organisms specialize on shorter wavelengths such as red light, while others use longer wavelengths such as violet, or even both. Sunlight is made up of all wavelengths, including those that we cannot see such as ultraviolet (UVA, UVB, UVC) and infrared, so plants can selectively absorb certain wavelengths for photosynthesis, and reflect others that are deemed less useful. This is done based on the photosynthetic pigments the plants possess. Chlorophyll is the most common pigment seen in plants, and it absorbs mainly reds and blues, while reflecting green (hence why many plants are green). But there are many other pigments that absorb green wavelengths and reflect red or yellow. It depends highly on the proportion of each pigment present in the cells of the plant. Leaves change color in autumn because chlorophyll is the first pigment to degenerate when trees overwinter. Some plants have evolved to absorb all wavelengths and are actually black!

Offline Freebird11

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24/08/2011 08:06:55 »
They  can get their food from:
1. glycolosis
2.bridging pathway (puyruvate to CoA
3.Krebs cycle (or CAC/citric cycle)
4.electron transport
2,3,&4 are activities of the mitochondria and need oxygen to be performed.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 24/08/2011 08:06:55 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums