The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can a nuclear reactor not produce dangerous waste?  (Read 1426 times)

Glen Carlson

Glen Carlson  asked the Naked Scientists:

Hello Chris.

I heard somewhere that the Chinese were working on a nuclear power generator that did not use plutonium and had no dangerous waste byproducts.

Sounds too good to be true. Does such a beast exist? And if so how does it work or how would it work if it did work?

Cheerz, Glen.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 20/04/2011 21:30:02 by _system »

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Can a nuclear reactor not produce dangerous waste?
« Reply #1 on: 21/04/2011 14:26:52 »
I think any nuclear reaction that produces energy will release at least some of that energy in the form of short wavelength EM radiation- effectively gamma rays. High energy gamma rays can knock neutrons out of materials by a process called spallation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spallation_Neutron_Source

Neutrons hitting other materials can be absorbed to produce radioactive isotopes of those materials.
I'm not saying it's impossible to generate nuclear power without generating radioactive waste, but I can't see how you could hope to get round this problem.

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21/04/2011 15:10:50 »
No such thing exist, and if it was plausible the west would have explored it already. That is if the Chinese haven't found a new way of producing 'energy'. Then maybe they are the cause of all those saucers flying around too?

And where are the cups?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 21/04/2011 15:10:50 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums